Monday, April 07, 2008

Huisman open-house

It is Monday morning. I didn't get to bed until midnight. (Had to see if Tennessee women lost -- they didn't -- bummer!) I then found myself staring at the ceiling at 5am so here I am, printing some documents from RLS so I can do some editing during my travel day and updating my blog.

Here are some photos from yesterday's open house at my parents' home. Maybe when I feel more rested, I'll be able to provide more overview on the weekend. But for now, let me just say that we were amazingly blessed by the generosity, love, and support showered on us by so many people. It is amazing to me how our infertility journey and subsequent progression into adoption has brought so many people back into our lives as they follow our story, pray for us, and watch things unfold.

Here are some photos from Sunday. Enjoy!

Here I am upon completion of opening all my gifts. We were amazingly blessed by the two days of showers and truly feel that we have everything we need (and more!) in anticipation for this little guy. I remember my cousin Sarah telling me that we were going to PAR-TY whenever we finally had a child enjoy our life. Only three showers into the six scheduled events, and I definitely feel like we have been partying -- hard. I'm tired! :)

Grace, Megan (a great friend from high school who I played basketball and volleyball with. Doesn't she look BEAUTIFUL?!), Cheryl (secretary at my old school), and Rita (another secretary at my old school.) How blessed I was to have these ladies join us. Rita gave us the most ADORABLE Curious-George basket (not knowing I had a collection of his things!) It was awesome!


My mother did such a wonderful job setting up her home for the open house. She was helped my sister-in-law AD as well as Debbie (more on her later!) There's a picture of me and Bri for everyone to see.


Theresa (married JB's high school classmate), Lisa (friend from Abundant Life), Danielle (sister-in-law), Wendi (me), my mom (my mom) , Jennifer (Brother Keith's classmate)


AD's mom (Debbie) with her granddaughter, Natalie (such a sweetie!) Debbie brought some great dip for the chips!

Wendi and Wendy -- a great friend of my mom's at Abundant Life. She has three children about my age -- Jamie, Jonathon, and Jenny. She blessed us with our crib set and other goodies. It was so great to catch up with her. She stayed for most of the afternoon -- into the gift-giving ceremony.

Karen, Pat, and Debbie. Debbie was a WONDERFUL help to my mom both at this shower and at my brother's rehersal dinner for his wedding. She has a wonderful servant's heart and is a great friend to my mom.



The open house went from 2-5. There was a steady flow of people until about 4:30pm! These were mostly friends from our Christian school and friends of my mom's from Abundant Life. It was great to see "old" faces.


Gracie was in charge of passing out the favors -- a job she took very seriously!

Some of the Kits. In the back is Dad, Mom and then Nate with Ray and Gabbi. Doesn't Gabbi look great!? In the front is me with my favorite niece -- Gracie-cakes. JB's sister Elizabeth and husband Grant as well as our sister-in-law Danielle were also there throughout the day.

Mary, Nancy, and Diana. Mary and Diana are friends from FLCS -- fellow teachers at the school. Nancy is a LONG-TIME friend of my parents. Her daughter Kelly has the "Steg family" blog. She has been in my life since before I was born and will always be considered family to me! I was so glad all of these ladies could be there.

Cathy was one of my dearest high school friends. We had lost touch but reconnected recently. Her husband Josh was wonderful. It was great that they could join us!

The two grandpas-to-be!

Desiree with my mom, Stacy, and Lynn. Desiree and Stacy are friends of my mom's from Abundant Life. Lynn was the mom of one of my brother's high school friends, Matt. All great ladies who have followed our story and prayed us to this moment.


My Dad. He just loves food! :)

My mom with Nancy. My mom thinks she is "smiling too hard" in this photo, but I love it. This photo screams happiness! I know Nancy (and Kelly) is truly as happy as any of our family for this great event! She's a loyal blog reader too! Hi Nancy! Thanks for coming!

My mom with Mary (from my mom's work at Doormark) and Debbie -- our great shower help!


After most people had left, we settled in for a gift-opening ceremony. Here we are as we are getting started. I am in the midst of throwing a pillow to my brother (it was in my way) and my sister-in-law AD is settling into her seat as the official "write-down-who-gave-you-what" person.


Here I am with Dasmi and Gracie. Dasmi is the daughter of Islande (pronounced is-land not eye-land.) Islande is my mom's neighbor and goes to Abundant Life as well. She is my mom's "other daughter." Dasmi and Grace helped me tremendously with the gift opening (and sometimes went faster than I could keep up with!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun pics!!!!!!!!!
i love you mom's picture with Nancy (it was fun for me to see Nancy -i met her in high school) -but also you are right -your mom's pic there is great! She says she doesn't get over excited about anything but you can prove her wrong -she is not only glowing but as you said This photo screams happiness!I'll add and excitement! :)xo Jan

Anonymous said...

I love seeing photos of people I know. All the Kits and your mom and dad. How fun! How blessed you are to have so many people surrounding you physically and prayerfully.

Anonymous said...

What a fun time! =) Looks like you'll definitely be needing the space in the SUV you're renting in a couple weeks for all those gifts!

AW said...

Wendi, I LOVE that picture of your mom...it does scream happiness. And I can't even fathom the joy she must be feeling to see you so happy!

Has Gabbi lost weight? I haven't seen a picture of her in awhile, but she looks different. (Unless I'm getting your peeps mixed up, which is likely.)

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying all of your pictures - thanks for taking the time to share!! :) *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Yes, the picture(of your Mom and me) screams with JOY!!!!! After all the years and struggles, the Kitsteiners will be parents!! There can be nothing more joyous than that!!! It was a wonderful gathering of people who love you and are sharing in your joy!! Cant wait for the BIG day!!!Sounds like you are more than ready with all the beautiful, thoughtful gifts!Cant wait for the day when you announce the birth of this little guy!!!Thoughts and prayers with you, dear Briana! Love, Nancy

Amy T. S. said...

So fun! Wish I could have been there. Oh, wait, I WASN'T INVITED!!! rofl

But seriously, I'm so unbelievably excited for you! And we love Curious George around here.

Love,
Amy

crazystegmamaof4 said...

GREAT pics, Wen! I love all those "oldie goldie" FLCS'ers :) (especially my joyful/smiley mom :)) You know how I love the pics and like I always say "a picture speaks a thousand words" and in my mind all these pics say how incredibly blessed you are...in SOOO many ways...by the generosity of friends and family, by Bri and her family and friends and most of all by the good Lord above. We all celebrate this new son to be born in the next few weeks...what a blessing he will be to so many as we watch his little life unfold before our eyes. You know I've been with you all along in this journey and my heart is so happy for you.

My mom had a ball at your shower...wish I could have been there too...but Indiana life calls :) I was thinking of you guys and "wow!" on all the gifts! This baby will be set for life with all the necessities! That is such a blessing for new moms and dads to be showered with goodies :)

I'm so excited to hear the news of little K's birth and can't wait to see his handsome face on your blog soon. Blessings always, Kel :)

TAV said...

LOVE THE PICS!!!! You ALL- you, Wen, Bri, Mrs. H, Gabbi, the grandpas (look like twins, btw) look so great and happy! I CAN'T WAIT FOR BABY XY!!!!!! (and more pics) :) love you! tara

Anonymous said...

Wen, I am so glad your shower went well. It looks like it was a lot of fun. It was so freaky seeing everyone from 'old FLC.' It's weird seeing people grow up and get older - I remember them just as they were when I left...now that image is all screwed up. :P JK

You're in our prayers. I'm sure little XY can't wait to meet you!

Love,
Lauren T.