Saturday, April 12, 2008

Going to get baby

Okay before you go and get all hot and bothered, we aren't going to get baby yet. Hold your horses everyone! There's three weeks and four days to go. Let's forget about the fact that my former teammate from western, Katie, just had her son seven weeks early (this caused me to hyperventilate just slightly -- oh, and he's doing great!) But, honestly, we are really trying to get prepared for our call-of-a-sudden-requiring-a-ten-hour-car-trip-to-adopt-and-pick-up-baby. We don't want it to take hours to get everything ready to go when the call comes in. The question is: when is it time to get ready? We decided that as we are nearing three weeks from due date, it is probably time to get packed and prepared. I know Bri is ready to get this show on the road whenever the show is ready to happen so I suppose we should be too. We are continuing to knock items off of our list slowly but surely.

Last night, the Internet was acting up (again!) which meant JB grew too frustrated trying to finish up the taxes and decided we could work on some baby stuff instead. Apparently, the old wiring in these old homes means inconsistent and frustratingly unreliable Internet. Couple that with the fact that our taxes include: a move, a house in one state and residence in another, jobs in one state but residence in another, a change from reserve to active duty military, my health stuff, and adoption costs, and you can see why JB has grown frustrated with the combination of taxes and bad Internet. ("Next year," he keeps telling me, "We are getting an accountant!") He is really hoping to finish them today with or without good Internet.

So back to last night. While JB was cooking, I worked on the rent-a-car situation. We think we have this figured out. Our plan is actually to rent a car to drive down, turn it in, and then, when we know we are ready to come back, rent a mini-van to lug all our stuff, baby, my mom, and us, back to good ol' Eglin. Originally we were going to rent a mini-van for the entire trip, but it's just too much money and really not necessary. Our friend Sarah graciously offered her mini-van to us if the call comes in the middle of the night, but we are going to try and avoid leaving her without her van for an unspecified amount of time. Anyways, we have called around and now know the earliest and latest pick-ups both here and in the next closest big city -- Tallahassee. Hopefully the call will come just as the sun comes up and all of this calling around will be unnecessary. But the controllers in us want to try and be prepared.

Other things we did last night? Check it out!

Here is our jogger (thanks AD & Debbie B!) and our swing (Thanks Tiff's parents!) Those little toys on the swing are very enticing to Scrubs.


Our layout in the guest room with items we need to take with us. I left many things with my mom in Florida -- newborn clothes, receiving blankets, bottles, etc. to prevent me from taking them back here and returning with them again. JB wasn't thrilled with that idea because he never got to SEE what I left there. But, what's done is done. My mom is also going to pick up diapers and formula for us as well ... I left her one of my many Target gift cards to secure this purchase. In making our list, we actually printed out the comments from my "Need advice" blog and went to town. It's not as much stuff as I thought it would be. Thanks everyone for all the help with this!


The box for the carseat (thanks Kristi!), jogger, and swing -- now empty. Still waiting to be unpacked is the pack-n-play off the far left (a gift from Joan, Rita, and their mom). I also just got our high chair this week (Dave and Lesley -- you rock!) and that, too, is waiting for assembly.

Here is Scrubs after an exhausting night putting all those baby things together. He's whipped!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

O dear. Now you made me nervous. I better get out for the laundry detergent and formula and diapers. I will have an extra day or two after I get the call but no sense waiting...yikes!! I think I feel like Scrubs!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Lots to do(so so exciting!!)...looks like Scrubby is plum tuckered out from all the activity!I just LOVE that dog!! What a personality!! Cant wait to see him meeting the new little guy!! We need a movie of that!! :) N

Anonymous said...

I love watching your countdown to baby ticker change each day - so much FUN!! :) BTW, just my advice (feel free to do otherwise), but I don't think you need to buy Dreft or specific "for baby" hypoallergenic detergent since you guys use the Free/Hypoallergenic white label stuff. I've seen lots of moms come in this year with babies who have sensitive skin rashes/atopic dermatitis on Dreft, and we recommend using All/Tide/whatever free and clear detergent, and it seems to work. I know the Dreft products say hypoallergenic and recommended by pediatricians, etc. but quite a few of the consultants I work with think the white label Free stuff is better. So just my two cents about laundry detergent. :) Maybe other people will disagree?

Anonymous said...

Lots of exciting stuff going on in the Kitsteiner house! =0)

I agree with Lesley about the detergent. We used All, and it was fine.

Gabbs said...

I agree with Lesley that the All free and clear stuff is good. Nate's ped dr recommended it for his eczema (although she said that OR dreft, lol). I personally don't have a preference between the two except for one thing. Dreft has a really nice smell and you do not need to put dryer sheets in (if you do that at all). The clothes always come out so soft and smell sweet.

Anonymous said...

Scrubs sleep positions are hilarious!!! I bet he'll be really exhausted when he has a little one to look out for as well!!
Sounds like you 're getting all set! The countdown is on!
Cheryl

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Yeah, I have very sensitiv skin so we already use TYE free of dyes and perfumes so we thought we'd continue on with that. Isn't it awesome I have healthcare providers posting on my blog?!? How awesome is that. We should have a "ask the pediatrician day" featuring Lesley J and Lisa C! Ha!

Lisa Cronk said...

I'm lucky...my husband is an accountant, so I never have to worry about my taxes. If John has questions or is stuck with some of the complicated stuff, feel free to give us a call and Steve can talk you through it. : )
Can't wait for your new little miracle to arrive! You all are in our prayers!
: ) Lisa

Anonymous said...

You are already WAY more ahead than Eric and I and Charlie is already here. We don't even have his nursery put together and I never got to have my showers as they were scheduled to happen the day I went into the hospital and then later in April/May. So, don't worry!! We have found over the last week that it will all come together. We are slowly buying things we "need" and then will get the rest when Charlie comes home. He is still in the NICU, but doing great. Hopefully he will get to come home in 2 weeks or so. Until then, we are making daily trips to Kansas City to be with him! Your heart will melt each time you get to hold your little guy :) It the best feeling in the world, especially when you have someone special to share the whole experience with!

--Katie