Saturday, April 05, 2008

Bri/Wen shower

I am home from a truly splendid afternoon. We spent from early morning until late afternoon at Roy & Joan's home celebrating the arrival of little XY with mucho gusto!!! I am not sure how many ladies were there today but would estimate about thirty. Most of these women were gals that I didn't know or had only met on one or two occasions. Most were friends or family of Joan or Bri. Bri's very special aunt -- Rita -- flew in California and surprised her last night. Joan's mom decided to extend her snow-bird visit a wee bit longer to stay for the shower. A few women were mutual friends of both families and a few came with the Kit. clan. One lady had actually never met Joan, Bri, or me. She was a friend of one of the women throwing the shower, had adopted a son years ago, and wanted to meet us and help celebrate! How cool is that?!

While I was a bit nervous when the shower started with all the new faces and unknowns, within about thirty minutes I came to realize that this was going to be a fantastic and blessed afternoon and an afternoon that I definitely needed. I truly cannot put into words how good it was, for everyone there, to be there. My mother and mother-in-law had the opportunity to talk to Bri and feel the baby. Bri was amazingly sweet and sensitive, hugging my mom and calling her "Grandma." Bri looked healthy and fantastic, glowing even, and ready to go at anytime! My family has not seen Bri much, if at all, since all this adoption talk started, and they were able to hear from Bri's own mouth, what I have been told all along -- that there is no doubt that little XY will grow up in our home after his birth.

All the ladies went around the room and spoke for a moment -- saying how they knew Bri or Joan or me. Bri and I each spoke as well, and I had the opportunity to tell my story publicly and share my thankfulness for what Bri (and Chris) was (were) doing. I felt, as I left this shower, that I was now, somehow, emotionally prepared for what was happening. That I had the permission of all of Bri's family and friends to raise their precious child. That Bri was anxious and ready to allow JB and myself to "take over". I also realized how many people have been praying for us during the last eight months. We and Bri have been in so many people's prayers and hearts during this exciting and difficult time.

I also had this amazing feeling that this was going to happen. There is Bri, quite pregnant, just weeks away from delivering, watching and oohing and aahing with me over the cute clothes and gifts. (We got a TON of things!) Everyone showered Bri in gift cards and pampering products, reminding her that while we are raising the child, she deserves just as much attention as John and me and XY. Here we are, together, getting ready to each change each other's life in an amazing way. Bri has always been "my little sister" but even if our contact with each other isn't constant, she will share a place in my heart that no one else ever will. I am so proud of her and so thankful for both she and Chris and the maturity to which she has handled this situation.

Joan and her sister Rita took a TON of pictures, and Bri has promised to try to send them to me as soon as possible. As soon as I get them, I will definitely post some -- probably before I return home to Eglin on Monday. I am going to get to see Bri one more time, on Monday morning, when I join her for another doctor's appointment and get to hear little XY's heart beat, one last time before I hold him in my arms.

Thank you to everyone who helped make this day happen. I know many of them have been following our story on this blog. This blog will now become a place that people who may never meet us again, will get to follow our son's life and watch him grow up in our arms. Rita reminded that he is not Bri's son and he is not our son. He is God's son, and we will all just get to borrow him for a short time.

And how exciting that time will be!

I love you Bri!

7 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

what a fantastic post, wendi! what a wonderful, amazing day for you. i was at a baby shower today, as well, and i thought of you quite often! can't wait to see the pictures...

Amy T. S. said...

Neat. Neat, neat, neat. NEAT!!!!!

And did I say,.... you know!

AW said...

Rita reminded that he is not Bri's son and he is not our son. He is God's son, and we will all just get to borrow him for a short time.

Wendi, I am humbled EVERY SINGLE DAY when I look at Jon Kai and realize he's not mine. It's humbling because I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt, that without the Lord, I am in noway equipped to be his mother. It's heartbreaking because I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt, that someday we'll be separated. And even though we'll be reunited again, this time today, is sooo sweet and precious. But most of all, it's AMAZING because I am so honored to have been ordained to raise this little baby boy into an adult son of God. ME!

You'll soon realize this baby will turn your world upside down and inside out and you wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm so thrilled for you. I can't wait to see how this child grows you and John!

TAV said...

oh, wen. sounds so beautiful. wish we could have been there. and, yes, can't wait for pics!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there, too. I would love to celebrate this time with you. Please know that I am there with you in spirit. And post some pictures already!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, your blog and Andi's reply has me in tears.

I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to hear of the arrival of little xy.

Bethany

Unknown said...

Wow, what a post! I am so happy for you! Sounds like this shower was exactly what you needed. God is so good and kind. And how amazing is Bri? I don't know her, and barely know you (can't wait to get to know you better!), but reading your story I can just see God's hand working out everything, even the smallest details. What a blessed little baby boy this is. You are going to be such a great mother to him. God is giving you the desires of your heart. Isn't he good? Can't wait to meet this precious baby!