Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Agility class

Well, I did manage to take my clothes out of my suitcase yesterday, but when we didn't get back from the dog class until 10pm, they went back in the suitcase and back on the floor. So, I must take that yesterday-success back. Today, I hope to take the clothes out of my suitcase and have them make it to their respective permanent place of residence. Here's hoping!

Speaking of dog class, what a fun time! Scrubs actually learned how to run through a tunnel to a spot outside of the tunnel and then run back through the tunnel to me all without help. All I say is "tunnel", "spot", "tunnel", "come". He actually was a "tunnel professional" already from his day's in puppy class, but I was really impressed how quickly he picked up the "spot" request. He also learned how to walk up and down an A-frame. Some of the dogs were very afraid, but Scrubs went up and down quite willingly. He has no fear at all which can be a good and bad thing.

Some people have asked me what we plan to do with these agility and obedience classes. The bottom line? Have a good dog. Some people will eventually go into agility competitions. I am not sure I will ever get involved in that, but it really helps to teach Scrubs to pay attention to me and see me as the pack leader. With the new baby coming a lot earlier than we are originally planning on, we thought this was especially important. And, he really likes it. It's a lot of fun, and we have some good laughs at the things the dogs do at the class. One of the little puppies who is a service-dog trainee, would stretch as far as he could on the A-frame to get the treat but not let his feet leave the ground. It was so adorable.

I also talked to the dog trainer about Scrubs' tendency to steal items and then hide from us. She asked if we were sure that Scrubs knew what he was doing. We almost started laughing. As soon as he steals one of these items he runs around where we can see him, pouncing, and waiting for us to stand up and try to get it back from him. There is no doubt he knows. Ask my mom and dad. They witnessed it firsthand. She suggested a "penny can". This is a can filled with pennies that makes a really loud noise. She said if we can startle him, he would probably drop the item and come running to us where we can praise him for leaving the item. We will try it. I'm not sure it will work, but it is worth giving it a try.

I know it may seem that I am a little obsessed with my dog. I used to try to pretend I wasn't that obsessed with Scrubs, but you know what, I am. This dog completely turned my life around in a very dark season, and he is truly a member of our family. So if I want to talk about him on my blog, I plan to. I hope that's okay with everyone!! :)

3 comments:

Joia said...

First off, I can TOTALLY sympathize with the "getting the clothes Out of the suitcase and Into the drawers/closet"...that seems to be such a huge battle for me too when I get home!
Secondly, you Go Ahead and talk about Scrubs all you want! He's your dog, it's your blog, and we love him! =)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks Joia!!! I knew I could count on you. See you and little Keenan today! I can't wait to see how much bigger he is in one month!

AW said...

I agree with Joia...talk about Scrubby all you want. I love animals, so I love hearing about his antics and seeing the videos.

And once your little man gets here, Scrubby will have to take the backburner in terms of your obsession, so I hope he enjoys the attention now. :-) You'll be worse with the baby! LOL!