Sunday, January 13, 2008

Home (for a moment)

Which of the following is a true statement? (Please mark all that apply)
A. We are home from our cruise.
B. I am leaving tomorrow at 5am for Fort Lauderdale.
C. Jodi did a fantastic job on the blog while we were gone.
D. JB and Wendi finished second in the "Not-so-Newlywed Game" on their cruise.
E. A total of 17 naps were taken in the course of the 7 day cruise.
F. We swam in a waterfall in the rain forest in Guatemala.
G. We toured the Mayan ruins in Belize.
H. We snorkeled in Honduras and Mexico.
I. We ate dessert two times a day for one week straight.
J. Jodi took fantastic care of our little Scrubby while we were gone.
K. We had an AMAZINGLY RELAXING vacation.
L. Wendi got burnt the second day sitting in a breezy, apparently shady spot. Carelessness! She was very mad at herself for this.
M. Foot cramps while snorkeling make for a lousy combination.
N. All of the above.

If you answered "N", you are correct. I don't have nearly enough time to talk about our cruise as much as I would like. I will summarize by saying, we had a wonderful week together. Things went amazingly smooth and we were blessed to have a week of R & R together aboard the "Spirit".

We got off the ship at 8am this morning in New Orleans. We picked Scrubs up from Jodi's at noon and have been doing laundry, repacking, getting stuff together for me to work from Fort Lauderdale, etc. Tiffany is going to take me to get the rental car so JB can do some stuff around here. I spoke with Joia briefly but time will prohibit me from connecting with her ... bummer! I miss everyone so much, and now I am leaving tomorrow again.

Anyways, later this week, I'll post more details, but for now let me share just a few photos with you. We honestly did not take very many ... when there are just two of you, I find you aren't quite as motivated. But here are some shots to share.

Our ship (from a "tether" taking us to shore when we couldn't dock at port.)


Another shot from a tether.


JB eating escargot (sp?) for the first time. It was HORRIBLE but he loved it.


Wendi eating the only kind of martini I'd ever get near -- a lobster and scallop martini (it's food served in a martini glass)


The waterfall in the rain forest in Guatemala


The Mayan ruins in Belize. This was our favorite port!


More Mayan ruins


An iguana in Belize.


A crocodile in Belize

View of Cozumel after a workout on deck. The difference between JB and my personality came out while on vacation. I kept saying I wanted to workout because "I was on vacation!" JB kept saying he didn't want to workout because "he was on vacation!" We worked out together a few times and I ran on my own on the top deck. It was awesome!


A view in Cozumel (ship in background). These are the famous long arm shots you take when there are just two of you. You can still see my mask marks from snorkeling!


Cozumel.


More Mayan ruins. JB climbed them. Wendi was a bit bus-sick and sat this climb out. That's JB on the top!


Here is what JB actually climbed. You can't see him from this view.


Banana spring rolls for dessert at the sushi restaurant.

Long armed shot on deck.

One of our only shots in Honduras. We weren't there very long. The cruise gave us $50 each to spend on the ship due to the fact we got in so late.


JB in the rain forest swimming.

Okay, off to get ready more for my drive to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. I'll be sure to post more later. Thanks Jodi for holding the fort while I was gone. What an amazing trip and an amazing blessing to have our little Scrubs in such good hands!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute suit Wen! See you tomorrow! Yay!!! mom

TAV said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO JEALOUS!!!! Those Guatemalan waters remind me of Wiki Warm Springs :) I'm so glad you guys had fun-- looks like an absolutely amazing time! Wish I could come on vacation with you :) But you will BE my vacation in Feb. Can't wait to see you! Miss you so much!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! we missed you!
thanks for the pics -oh my goodness, why are we settling in the US -i will have to email you some pics of a vacation friends of ours took in Indonesia (North Sulawesi) -the ones who were adopting the little Indonesian boy --maybe we could take a vacation in Indonesia -by the way the dedication is tentatively June 22 :) too soon after your little one arrives -love Tante Jan

Rachel and Hans said...

Hi Wendi!

Your trip looks like so much fun! I'm glad you guys had a good time. Love your swim suits!! Hope things go great in Fort Lauderdale!!

yuan family said...

It looks like you had an amazing time. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are amazing and have placed within my heart a STRONG desire to go on a cruise! We had so much fun hearing about Scrubs from Jodi. She did such a great job. Have a safe trip to Florida and a wonderful visit with your folks and friends. My sister sent me this story and it reminded me of the unconditional love we receive from our dogs:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform th e euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that an animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.' Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'

The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK!! What a fantastic vacation!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your cruise looks like it was wonderful! I can't believe you were in Guatemala though! I got home Sunday from there and had been there since New Year's! On our day off we went to some Mayan ruins and they were also my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Let me join the long list of folks who are jealous. You just came back from my dream vaycay. I am glad you guys had a great time.

We just got back from MN. It was pretty fun too...not quite as warm...but still a good time.

We miss you guys.