Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Review: Generation Genius

I stumbled upon Generation Genius while searching online for a fun AND easy (for me! the parent!) science curriculum for seven children here in our Two Family Homeschool. I was specifically looking for curriculum for our K-6 kiddos.  Our high schoolers are doing a more complicated, textbook-related science lessons for their high school credits. But I wanted our elementary and middle school kids to ...

... well what I wanted was something: 

FUN

and

EASY.

Specifically, I was looking for something that could help me with two big problems I seemed to have when it came to science in our homeschool:

  1. I am NOT a science-person. Never have been. Never will be. Not my thing.
  2. I will NOT get the materials for science experiments. Once upon a time, I thought I would. I'd be that homeschool Mama. But I'm not. I don't want to. And I'm not going to. It's just too much for me. Too much planning and prepping and buying and gathering and doing.

So, firs,t I scoured my own cabinets ...

I had quite a few different science curriculums here at the house I had accumulated. But they all just seemed like "another thing to read." We started one, and the kids did it fine. But it meant just reading and answering questions. A bit boring.

So I sat down on my computer and typed in "fun science program for elementary kids" and I stumbled upon Generation Genius

Immediately, a few things became apparent:

  1. The website is SO SO easy to navigate. LIKE SUPER EASY! I didn't get lost even ONE TIME!
  2. You can try five of the lessons completely free. No credit card to put in and cancel later. No tricking you. You just flat-out can try five for free. 
  3. Each video contains everything you need for the kiddos to learn about that topic with very little (if any!) help from the parents. Let's be real here. There are ten kids schooling here. I can't be everywhere at the same time. 
  4. The program is INCREDIBLY affordable. $95 for the year for homeschool use. That's it. Super clear and easy and really, truly, not expensive for an entire year of science lessons!
  5. The videos are done incredibly well. Like, super duper high-level awesomeness. Professional-level here folks. I can't say this enough.
  6. The lessons are easily broken up into three very clear age ranges: 
    • K-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-8
  7. Each lesson is broken down VERY clearly and allows for GREAT EASE of use. Take "Atoms and Molecules" for example. When you click on the video, here is what you see. I actually let my kids, all by themselves, walk themselves through the curriculum. I even let my third-grader, Abigail, sit down and "lead" the program for my kindergarten and first graders, and she was able to navigate it with complete ease.

We are completely and utterly SOLD on this program. I actually contacted the company MYSELF to see if they'd let me try it free for one month in exchange for my review, and the head guy emailed me back and let me try it for a month. Just one week into our one month trial, I knew that this is something we will ABSOLUTELY do the entire year. It is OUTSTANDING!!!

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm happy to answer them, but this is one program I can unequivocally advocate for. And so will my kiddos. Each of the kids has also given it two thumbs up. Even Isaac our twelve-year-old-non-science-guy.

Give this program a try! There are five free episodes just waiting for you. If you have a child anywhere between 4-13, you will LOVE what this has to offer!

No comments: