Thursday, September 17, 2020

We Bought a Farm: My Sheep Map

 


THIS map has become an integral part of my farming life. My husband mows new paddocks for the sheep. Then he draws me a map. The blue lines are the paddocks he has mowed. He sends this to me via my phone, and it becomes my grid for future work I need to do.

One of my chief jobs on the farm is to make sure we are at least one paddock ahead of these sheepies at all times. This means I have to take down old paddock and put up new paddock. By "I" what I actually mean is myself and whatever kids I force ask to help me. Jacob or John will also jump in when their other work permits. 

It isn't a very hard job, but it is completely mandatory. Failure to have a paddock ready is really not an option. When food runs out of the paddock the sheep are in, they must move to the next paddock. Which means it must be ready. 

Right now the sheep are in "1". I have "2" already run. Materials are in place to set up "4" and "5". However, you only have so many reels and posts so you can only get so far ahead. 

Here's a video of what a "paddock" looks like. We call it "running line." The kids are VERY good at it, and we can get a new paddock set up in under 30 minutes depending on where our materials are from past take down.

No comments: