Monday, February 25, 2019

Review: WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group





I love reviewing books! I especially love reviewing kids' books!! And even more, I love reviewing kids' books that are not only good for the mind but good for the soul. And that's what WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group has given me to share with you today. We received two books to review, both from The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls series: The Great Escape (Book #3) and Journey to Jericho (Book #4).  You can view these books by visiting: WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group.

Before I get started, I want to share that you can read a few sample pages of book #3 by clicking here. I think this is very helpful in getting a feel for the pace and speed and vocabulary of these books. Author Mike Thomas went searching the library for books for his nine-year-old son. He wanted something fun and imaginative that would teach him the Bible. When he couldn't find anything, Mike decided to write books himself. He combines Biblical accuracy with adventure, imagination, and characters who are dear to his heart. The main characters are named after Mike's son (Peter), his niece (Mary), and his own dog (Hank.) 

My ten-year-old son, Elijah "Sidge", read Book 3: The Great Escape. These books have a target grade level of ages 6-9 or grades 1-3. Sidge is just outside of that target age-range as he is ten and in fourth grade. Sidge absolutely loved the book. He is actually a voracious reader and reads at about an eighth grade level. I wanted to see what he thought of the books being as he often reads things that are much older and more complex in theme and language. 

Sidge's review, however was incredibly positive:

The book was super fun. It was easy to read. I liked when I reviewed the previous ones, and I would love to read Book 4 too. It was really cool. I learned about the Bible and got to have an adventure. I really recommend these books!

My ten-year-old son, Isaac, read the Book 4: Journey to Jericho. Isaac is in fourth grade as well. He is usually a much tougher critic, and he also has a little lower reading level than his brother. (Isaac is approximately fifth grade in reading level.) I also say that if Isaac likes something you have really done it right as he doesn't say he likes something unless he really does. 

Isaac's review was equally positive: 

It was very easy to read. It took me about one hour to read. There were lots of interesting facts. I would recommend this for people who want to make studying the Bible fun. Mary and Peter and Hank the dog go to Jericho. There were scrolls that magically helped them get to Jericho. However, once they are in Jericho, they have to solve the scroll secret or they will be trapped in Jericho forever without being able to go back to their time. It wasn't scary, and I knew it would end happy, but I was still worried that they wouldn't get back. The kids were actually spies in the city, and they marched around Jericho with Joshua. Michael the Angel tried to help them while Satan was trying to stop them. It was interesting; I knew most of the Bible story already, but it was still very interesting to read.

I wanted to have my seven-year-old daughter read the book as well, but quite honestly, with our family vacation, I simply didn't get to it in time. Abigail can read at about a second grade level, but reading isn't something she craves yet like the boys do. However, I have no doubt Abigail could have read these books quite easily. In my opinion, it would have been something that she read in over the course of a few days -- unlike the hour that the boys read them in. 

I decided instead to read the book outloud to my daughter, Hannah (who is 5), and Abigail (who is 7). I read both books to them, and they enjoyed them immensely. They are fast reads when read by an adult (took about one hour.) I read each book in two sittings.

After sharing these books with all four of my kids, I think the target age-range could actually be extended. I would actually put the age range at 5-11 (or K-4th grade).

I have reviewed these books before. Here is a link to my previous review.

Please take a moment to check this series out on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter too. And don’t miss other reviews from our Crew by clicking below: 

The Great Escape & Journey To Jericho {WorthyKids Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for reviewing The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls.
I'm glad your family enjoyed it!
Thanks,
M. J. Thomas