Monday, May 14, 2012

Reader question on baby carriers

Hi Wendi, I am one of your blog followers. I am pregnant, due in June. I also have a 3 year old boy that I've kept a lot of stuff from when he was a baby but still am having a baby shower and am in the process of registering for stuff. I am looking at baby carriers and am lost; there are SO many to choose from! I remember you talking about the one you use for Abigail and how much you like it and I have seen pictures of it on your blog. Which one is it? I never used one for my son and definitely plan to with my daughter. I'd appreciate any input you can give. Thank you!

Great Question Tiffany. And congrats by the way. I have used two carriers. The BJORN and the MOBY. I love both for different reasons.

The MOBY WRAP is INCREDIBLY comfortable. However, I just could NOT put it on by myself with my daughter. It was good for trips when I had help but not when I was solo. I even tried watching videos online and everything, and I would end up having the boys ready and dressed and being nearly in tears to get it on.

When Veronica was still with us, she became a pro at it, and I LOVED using it, with her help. But the worry that I wouldn't be able to get it on right, lead me to stop using it despite how incredibly comfortable it was.

The Bjorn is a little harder on my shoulders when I carry the baby for long periods but it is SO easy to put it on. I can get her in it in about 10 seconds, seriously. And I can flip her facing forward or facing inward (when she wants to sleep) so easily.

The MOBY is fairly inexpensive ($40 I think and you can actually just get it made if you want). I bought my Bjorn secondhand for $15. Good luck! Please let me know when your babe arrives!!!

P.S. Readers, feel free to comment with your own suggestions for Tiffany and other people who would like to know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would recommend a pouch sling or ring sling or moby wrap for the first few months. I have tried all of them and they all have their good points as well as their challenges. I found the pouch sling to be the most comfortable but they are not one size fits all. Also they only work for maybe the first 3-5 months then the baby outgrows it.
Ring slings are similar to pouch slings but they are more versatile. You can adjust it to different lengths but he downside is sometimes you have to keep tetightetning it whole wearing it (or maybe I just never got the hang of it...).
The wrap I thought was awesome it like Wendi said it takes some practice to get the baby in and out without help.

For a long-term carrier I would very highly recommend the Ergo. It has several advantages over he Bjorn style. First, the baby's weight is on your hips, not your shoulders, so you can basically wear the baby all day no problem. I had a Bjorn and it killed my back with my 3-month-old so I sold it, bought an Ergo, and haven't looked back! You can also breast feed with it because it has a privacy cover and is very adjustable. Also the baby is in a sitting position rather than dangling by the crotch, so I would imagine it is more comfortable for the baby and is potentially better for their hip development. The Ergo can also be worn backpack style so is good for hiking, and it has a weight limit of about 36 pounds. I used it with my firstborn until he was three, so you definitely get your money's worth! It is very rugged and I am currently using the same carrier on my second child who is almost two. Go with the Ergo!

Faith said...

I also like buckle carriers (like the bjorn). BUT, the bjorn is very bad on babies' developing hips and spines (look at how they sit in them, legs hanging down, versus something like the ergo). Of course, I did not know this until my second child, so Jax spent a lot of time in our bjorn before I did the research! So, for buckle carriers, I also highly recommend the Ergo...or I LOVE my Becco Gemini. Both are much better on mommy's or daddy's back and shoulders and on baby's hips and spine. I could never get the hang of the Moby - I tried and tried and it just never worked for us. I also had to tighten in constantly. I am a soft buckle carrier mom. I still use my Gemini with both of mine occasionally - love it!

Amy T. S. said...

I'll try an Ergo this time, just received it, but I used the ring-sling a lot with my 2nd. It was hard to learn to use, but once I had someone show me some tips I just used the heck out of it.

Shanna said...

I used the MOBY wrap until my little one started pushing the shoulder straps down, which unwrapped her. It was so comfy for me and her. (I also loved that people didn't really touch her because they would have had to really invade my personal space!) Wrapping it yourself at first is pretty difficult and I needed help, but I practiced a lot with a baby doll until I could get it myself. :)

My daughter is 13 months now and we use the Becco Baby - Gemini carrier. She can face in or out or on my back or hip. The hip carry is very uncomfortable for me, as I have some lower back / hip issues. But, the other holds are very comfortable even for longer periods. It is rather pricey, so my family all chipped in and gave it me for my birthday.

My husband wears our daughter in the carrier, but only at home. The pattern is rather girly... :)