Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The free stuff


I stole this from a friend's blog. (Thanks Emily!) It has really stuck with me. I have always been a water drinker. I've always said: "I'd rather eat my calories than drink them." But while in Turkey, it got a little more difficult for me. Headaches and sleep deprivation were two culprits that gave me an excuse to go for caffeine-filled drinks. (Since I don't like coffee or tea, the only other way to get a good pick-me-up was through a soda/pop.*) And my favorite? Mountain Dew without a doubt.

Another excuse was paying for water. Ever since JB and I got married, we have always drank "the free stuff" when going out for dinner. I can only imagine how much money it has saved us over the years. But here in Turkey, water is not free. It is always bottled and always costs money. If I am going to pay a lira for a water, why not pay two lira for a Coke? And so it went. I started drinking more soft drinks for that reason as well.

But this picture returned me to my roots. Water it is. Whenever possible. I'll take the free stuff.

Even if, over here, it ain't free.
*Here's a blog entry I did long ago on the debate between whether to call it pop, coke, or soda.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I already try to keep my soda to a minimum but this pic cements my "no energy drink" stance--that red bull looks to have the same amount of sugar as the mountain dew, and it's half it's size!
We just moved and I was drinking tap water but after noticing the greenish white stains that a drip at work left I have switched to paying for my water too :(

TAV said...

I, too, hate paying for water, but you're right...