Monday, January 08, 2007

A post on -- shocker -- weather

I don't know if any of you have ever visited the page: www.city-data.com. It is quite interesting. It breaks down nearly any detail you can think of about a city. It is really fascinating. I started browsing and looking into data about our new hometown. Some of the most interesting findings have to do with weather. For instance, look below. This is the yearly temperature averages for Destin. The green is the U.S. average. How normal does that look?!

Now compare that to Fort Lauderdale. Are those lines even moving, like, at all? Can you get a more static temperature than this!?

And now compare that to Minnesota. JB and I think that Minnesota's temperature is not only bad because it is much, much colder than the national average. But now look at the summer months. Those are even very warm. Quite a big difference. And quite a big slope.

Another interesting finding was the wind averages. Check out the national average and then check out the wind in Rochester! I have always said that it isn't the cold here but the WIND that just zips right through you. However, truly, I thought that was in my imagination. However, checking on city-data proved that I was right! The wind here in Rochester is terrible. Check it out.

Now before you going saying, "Oh come on Wendi. It isn't that bad. I mean, you should live in the windy city." No! I ran Chicago through city-data. Check this out. The wind in Rochester, MN is worse than the wind in THE WINDY CITY. How ridiculous is that. (However, in actually, I have heard that the reason Chicago is called the "windy city" is actually because of the various politicians that have come through blabbing away. Not sure that is true.)

There were other interesting findings on these sites. They also do the same thing for humidity, sunshine, cloudy days, and, of course, snow fall. Fort Lauderdale's snow fall is one straight line. Minnesota's? Quite bumpy. But what cracks me up is the snowfall in Destin. You can actually see a tiny, tiny "bump" in the early part of the year where they have obviously had some snowfall. I told JB, I bet Destin is pretty proud of that bump. Check it out!

That little bump is something Fort Lauderdale-ians would kill for.

While I was doing this post, I was listening to the weather. The weatherman actually said, "The good news is, no temperatures with a negative in front of it." Hmmm ... I suppose that is good news.

Does it mean I am getting old if I just did an entire post about the weather? I, honestly, really, cannot complain. This winter has not been bad AT ALL! The temperatures have been much warmer than average. I have actually been walking outside when I go to work. The sad thing is that I start convincing myself that this is normal, and I can walk outside everyday. PSYCH! The temperatures on my way home were around 20, and I tried to brave it and immediately started kicking myself for this decision. It gets a lot colder than it is right now. We have just been lucky so far.

Speaking of that weather, time to go outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't even want to see the amount of rainfall in the Pacific NW. It has rained every, every day I've been here. I hear Boston and other cities actually get more rainfall, in volume, per year, but Seattle has the most rainy days of any of them. Yikes. Hans tells me it's non-rainy in MN. At this point, I might take the cold.
:) tara