Thursday, September 08, 2011

To share


I recently received the following email.


We don't know each other and to be honest I have absolutely no idea how I found your blog.  But I found it a while ago and have been keeping up with your journey. I don't have any inspirational bible passages or sayings however, I was raised a Lutheran in MN (maybe that is what turned me onto your blog) and after moving out of my parents home I pretty much had turned my back against the church and as hard as it is to say probably towards God to.  When I started reading your blog I started feeling the need to start praying again and started really looking my past in God and the relationship I have with him.  Needless to say it isn't great on my end but I'm working on it pretty much on a daily basis.  Please know that you are in my prayers and I check your blog on a daily basis. I know the journey you're going through has to be tough and that God and your wonderful family are by your side. Thank you for reopening my eyes to something that I had let fall to the wayside so many years ago.I hope you are doing good and that soon the steps you are taking will help you.  


I think you are courageous for sharing your battle on the blog.  Please keep sharing the battle because I know whether the person is suffering from post partum or any other medical condition you are a shining light to them.

And I thought to myself ... am I to share this journey too? And maybe I am. I realized that I am far from the first or last or only person to face depression or post-partum depression. I didn't want people to feel alone in infertility. I don't want them to feel alone in adoption. And I still don't want them to feel alone. So maybe I share this too?

I'm not sure when/how much/if I will, but I have been amazed at how many people "come out of the woodwork" when you discuss something like this publicly. So many of you out there have faced this or something similar. We really are the same at the heart aren't we?

What an encouragement this email was to me. I often feel that people can't see Christ if all they see are my  "issues." But maybe in my issues that's just who they see.

I pray that is the case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is true...when we are weak, it gives GOD a chance to shine! Our "mess is turned into His "message". Praying for you and your family.

Emily said...

"But maybe in my issues that's just who they see."

Yes, yes! We see Christ in you, working all things for His great Glory. Thank you for sharing. It makes others feel less alone, living out 2 Corinthians 1:4. God "...comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

Anonymous said...

Gen 41:52 "Fro God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction."...
...on a whole other plane -i still keep going back to some of the grief and loss you have experienced despite this great joy -the many goodbyes, not only of family, but death of loved ones....you have been through alot and need rest and recovery time dear niece. I have been reading Bonhoeffer's Letters and Papers from Prison -i loved this quote on 319 "To take leave of others, and to live on past memories, whether it was yesterday or last year (they soon melt into one), is my ever-recurring duty, and you yourself once wrote that saying goodbye goes very much against the grain". We love and miss you --so proud of you guys and your openness to God to use you in the midst of your affliction! I am praying for you Wen Tante Jan