Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Satisfaction

Today I cleaned my kitchen and laundry room. Not just a little clean. But a lot clean. I was blessed by two boys taking two naps at the exact same time twice today. (I think them not feeling well worked to my advantage as they were extra tired.) This gave me an amazing amount of extra time. So I gutted my kitchen. I cleaned walls and baseboards. I cleaned corners and cabinets. I found Scrubs' missing kong, a toy car, and twenty-six cents.

I also managed to have Isaac in his high chair eating dinner, Elijah in his exersaucer playing, and dinner on the stove when JB walked in the door at nearly 6pm. Yes, I cooked dinner. It was nothing special mind you. Some pasta and broccoli and carrots. But it was dinner nonetheless.

As soon as JB walked in the door, he commented on what I had done. The clean kitchen. The clean laundry room. Dinner ready to eat. I felt proud. I felt like it had been a good day. Like I had done a good job.

I thought to myself how blessed I am to have someone tell me I did a good job. It made me think of those of you out there who don't have a roommate or a parent or a spouse there when you come home. You don't have anyone telling you that you did a good job. So, (and you know who you are), I'm telling you now that I am proud of you. I'm proud of the hard work you do everyday and the great job you do.

If you know someone who doesn't get enough encouragement, shoot them an email or take them out for lunch to tell them that they are appreciated. Single parents. Single friends. Young adults. The elderly living alone. We all need to know we are doing a good job. We all need each other.

. . . and now I need a good night sleep. All that hard work has left me wiped.

. . . but first, some more tennis!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Wen! And you are terrific at encouraging peple; you have a very sweet way of lifting people up:)
love ya!
mom k

mom h said...

Wen, I made a chicken, shrimp coconut curry for dinner! Aren't you proud? (it made dad's nose run but it was good for me!!!) So glad you had a productive day. Doesn't it feel good? See you friday. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Wen :)
If you come up to NW IN and clean anything in my apt I will tell you that you did a great job...you can just do a fine job, but since I wouldn't have to do it, it (and you) would be great!
~Holly

Anonymous said...

Good job with the kitchen, Wen. Great satisfaction knowing the job is done.
I am definitely tuning in to the US Open tonight. This 17 year old is fun to watch.
Hope she wins.
I think I play better after watching tennis....jk
Joni