Wednesday, September 02, 2009

My Grama Gert

Grama with Isaac (and a picture of my Dad to make it a four-generation picture) back in August 2008


Grama with Elijah in June of 2009

My Grama Gert has decided that she is ready to leave this Earth. She said that my Grampa and Jesus are waiting for her. They have moved her to hospice. I just got a call from my Aunt Linda, and as of this evening, Grama is no longer responsive. However, this afternoon, she called all of her children together: her four boys and her daughter Linda. My Dad was the only one not there as he is in South Florida. She asked them for permission to go home and they all granted her that freedom, of course.

She also had them get out a Bible and read II Timothy 4:7. It reads: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." My Grandmother is one of the most faith-filled women I have ever met. She has prayed for each of her six children, sixteen grandchildren, and I think fourteen almost fifteen (but I may have that wrong) great grandchildren with amazing fervor since before they were born. She began praying for Isaac and Elijah years before they joined our family. And she got to hold each of them. I am so happy that they each spent a few minutes on my Grama Gert's lap.

Her kids asked the doctor today how long they thought Grama had. He said, "Last Thanksgiving." We thought she was going home then, and the Lord gave her nearly another year. That year allowed her to meet my second little boy. I am so amazingly blessed by that.

I am crying as I write this but not out of sadness really. My Grandmother has lived a great life. She will finally get to be with my Grampa again after nearly a decade and a half apart. But I will miss her. I spoke with my Dad on the phone this evening. He said that it was like when I was a kid and would cry when either set of my grandparents left after a visit to our house in South Florida. Just crying because I loved them so much and didn't want to wait so long to see them again. I don't want to wait so long to see her again.

My prayer is that the Lord takes my Grama in her sleep. That she feels no pain. And that my Grampa gives her a great big hug when he sees her. What a reunion that will be.

Here is a video I took of my Grama with Elijah back in June. I'm so glad I got her on video. Now I can always hear her voice.



I have so much more I could say about my Grama, but I'll leave it at this. I'll update again when we know more. If you could pray that my Grama goes home soon and that she is not in pain, our family would appreciate it. Pray that she gets to walk with her Lord soon.

16 comments:

Lady Di said...

That was so beautiful Wen. I think about her and remember how she was alway kind. She wasn't always understood but I never heard her say a negative thing about anyone,ever! She was always quick to pray for us and encourage. She regularly gave a scripture verse to people she came in contact with. Last year she gave us one of her Bibles. I have been using it for my study....what a treasure to read all her notes along w/ the Word. Look at her family....all her children and grandchildren love God and love each other! What a heritage she and grampa have left behind.
What an example of a godly woman of faith. I will miss her! I can just picture the reunion of grampa, auntie Helen and others waiting for her. And Jesus wrapping her in His arms. What a celebration!

Joia said...

Wendi what a precious post! I am so happy for Her, to be able to go "home" and be with your Grampa and to meet her Lord! Wow!

So sweet that she was able to talk to all of her kids, who are at peace with her moving on.

Joia said...

Just watched the video. How special that you have that, and that Elijah will be able to see it someday and know how much she loved him!

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Your Grama will certainly be in my prayers tonight Wendi. My heart feels heavy and happy. She sounds like a wonderful person and I am so glad she met your precious boys.

yuan family said...

She sounds like a wonderful grandma. I will be praying for her and your family.

Jess said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandma. My great grandma died before meeting my kids (thanks infertility!) and I'll always be sad about that. She prayed for my mom to conceive me when they had trouble, and we had asked her to pray for us, too. And God gave us the blessing, just not before we lost her. I'm so glad that you have those pictures and video of your boys with her. What a wonderful thing!

I'll say a prayer for your grandma. And your family.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Wen. I know how hard it is. It has been two years since my Grama Gen passed. It is comforting to know she will be in a better place with no pain or illness. I will keep you, your Dad, and rest of you r family in prayer.

Tony B.

Anonymous said...

Man Wendi..Visiting her yesterday was amazing..she had this peace about her and said, "everything is going to be OK", she actually said that to Emmie who for once was speechless! She was sipping Coffee and said. "Ooohh this is the best coffee ever, I hope they have coffee in heaven!" I will never forget that! We were like, I bet they have the most amazing coffee in heaven:-) You are right words can't describe, but I be that the Lord is going to say "Well done Good and Faithful Servent!!!" Awesome!Loved reading this Wendi, and ohf course I am crying already..:-)(
Thinking of you guys,
Kathleen Huis

Gabbs said...

She'll be in my prayers, Wen....As will you all.

Tara said...

I'm so sorry you're facing this. She seems like a wonderful woman.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks everyone for the stories, love, prayers, and encouragement.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandma, Wendi:)I remember sitting on your dad's porch and her telling me of the joy she felt because of her wonderful family! I knew how special she was when you told us years ago, before John met her for the first time, that she had a verse for him:)What a prayer warrior! I always enjoyed getting the chance to visit with her-those few moments will always be special to me.I'm praying the Lord will wrap all of you in a "group hug" and give you tons of happy memories to talk about till you can see her and your grandpa again fafe to face:)
love, mom k

ErieContrary said...

Very sweet post, Wendi. I will be praying that your Grandma goes on in peace.

Anonymous said...

Your mom was one of our very faithful prayer friends as we worked in Indonesia....just about two months ago i got the most beautiful note from her -filled with joy in getting to have this extra time with her family before going "home"...I can only think now there is more fun and more joy in heaven than even before and more love!

Becky said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grama. She sounds like an amazing woman. Praying she is in the arms of Jesus soon, hearing those words we all long to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant." Praying for you and your family as well. Love you, Wendi.

Anonymous said...

I meant gramma, not mom! --auntie Jan (but you knew that)...had a few tears with you this morning reading your beautiful update thinking of her cards :)
So thankful that thru our Lord Jesus Christ's death and resurrection, the sting of death is taken away--we can mourn (and do!) but not without hope!