Friday, September 04, 2009

Funeral

I went and saw Grama in June, knowing that I may not be able to go to her funeral. Logistics, childcare, and money would all factor in to a last minute ticket for a funeral, and I knew that would have to be a game-time decision. I made the decision back in June that visiting her with Elijah was much more important to me than attending her funeral.

When we knew she was getting ready to go home, I asked the Lord to make it very clear to me if I could go to the funeral. I knew a lot of things needed to come together. Care for the boys, cost of the ticket, JB's schedule, my schedule . . . everything.

As of this morning, I didn't know if I would be able to go. They were originally talking about a midweek funeral which would be very difficult logistically. But as the day went on, He made it crystal clear that I would be able to be with my family. I am going to fly out on Friday morning and return on Sunday morning. The viewing is on Friday and the funeral is on Saturday. Both my parents will be there as well. My dear friend Joia has graciously (and courageously) volunteered to watch both boys for me. I had contemplated bringing Isaac but know that not doing a whirlwind weekend of travel will be better for him. I would love for everyone to get to see him -- especially my parents and my Mom's parents who will be there. But I know that Joia's offer is best for the boys. JB will have them from Friday until I get back on Sunday afternoon.

I am really looking forward to being with my family during this time and getting to celebrate such an incredible woman. My Grandmother was truly one of the best examples of Christ's love that I have ever witnessed. She had the most incredible spirit of love, forgiveness, and contentment. I am forever changed because she was my Grama.

7 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad you will be with your family for the celebration of your Grandma's life...I can tell, just from your posts, that she was a very special lady.

Anonymous said...

Thats so wonderful Wendi! it will be so nice for you to be with your family and celebrate your grandmas life!God always works out the details! :) N

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

What a blessing that you will be able to go Wendi. She made such an impact on your family from what I've read about her. A celebration indeed.

Gabbs said...

I'm so glad you're going to be able to go and be with your family.

Jess said...

I'm just catching up...

So sorry about your grandma. But what a blessing that she's home with the lord. That pic of her a few posts down just a while ago looks so GOOD and it (seemed to) happen fast, which is a blessing.

Glad you can be with your family during this time. God bless you guys.

Anonymous said...

I love Joia! what a blessing for you! you will be able to rest in the boys being in good, good hands and be with your family at this important time!

nicole and bay said...

I'm catching up too. I am glad your gran got to go home to God and your grandpa - she must be so happy to see both of them. She sounds (and looks) like an amazing woman of God. It's not going to be easy, but remember to thank God for the many years that she was on this earth and the memories made during her lifetime. Bay and I just prayed for your family. We love you and are thinking of you in these difficult times.