Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gone and done it

After much thought . . . I did it.

Became a teacher in Florida that is.

Well, not officially.

Officially, I am waiting for the paperwork to come back to say that the state of Florida has deemed me worthy to teach in their state.

Not that I think I will ever teach in their state mind you.

I really don't plan on teaching ever again.

Don't get me wrong. I liked teaching. Somewhat. I liked coaching better. Teaching is hard. People think teachers have the life. Done at 3:00. Summers off. Lots of holidays. But it is an incredibly stressful profession. Honestly, when I think about standing up in front of a room of thirty seventeen year olds again, it gives me a stomachache. I seriously think I might throw up. How did I do that for all five years? I'm really not sure.

One of the final straws . . . one of the last things that happened before I resigned my position was a football player who got mad that I failed him. (I won't go into the fact that I had passed him the previous semester, against my better judgment, with the understanding that he wouldn't wait until the twelvth hour next time.) "I'll let you make up the work this time," I had said. "But next semester, I won't. You'll be out of luck." Okay Coach K. Got it. I promise. No biggie. Second semester, same old thing. When he got upset that I was going to fail him and not let him make up all the work ten minutes before grades were due, I stood in the back of the room after class with him to explain why I wouldn't be allowing him the same grace. He looked at me in the eye (he was tall) and said, "Are you done?"

It's a good thing JB wasn't there in person when the kid said that.

A few weeks later, I resigned. I wasn't paid enough for that sort of disrespect. I could make the same money sitting in office somewhere answering phones. (Which is subsequently why I applied for a job as a receptionist at the RLS Foundation. They couldn't understand why I had, when I had a Bachelor's Degree. They decided to offer me a position that fit me more. I didn't care what I did as long as I wasn't stressed out.)

Oh, another sidenote. I should tell you that ninety percent of my students were great. Really. They were. It was the ten percent however that just wears a teacher out. It was the ten percent that forced me resign.

But back to the teaching license thing.

The teaching license is a precarious thing. Don't use it and you lose it. First I had one in Kentucky. I used that one to get one in Minnesota. Kentucky license has now expired. Minnesota gave me a one year license. Two big tests and one class on accepting the Native American culture later, I had a five year license from Minnesota. But before I could use it, I quit.

Now, the five year license in Minnesota expires this month. Want to renew it? Take three college classes and a huge test and do some other stuff too. No can do. No want to do. No sir'ee Bob. No way Hosea.

You get the idea.

So, instead, I decided to become a teacher in my new state (which is actually my old state but that is neither here nor there). My Florida state. I sent in money. (Is anyone surprised that they charge money to tell you whether your application is good enough?) I sent in my Minnesota license. I sent in my official college transcript. I sent in a birth certificate.

I debated not doing it. Like I said, I don't plan on teaching ever again. But the thing is, if you let your license expire, it is impossible to get it back. Okay, not entirely. But you might as well go back to college and start from scratch again. It is seriously almost that much work.

So instead, I think I bought myself a little bit of time. Not sure how long the new certificate will be good for. Might be a year. Might be longer. But teaching is my profession. If I ever did need to return to the work force, getting a job as a writer (like I had) isn't easy.

So I did it. I'm staying a teacher.

For now.

Or at least I think I am. Still waiting for Florida to say I'm good enough to join their state. We'll see what they say.

Either way, I did it. I didn't throw away my my four year degree.

Not yet anyways.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be smart to not ever teach again1 After 31 years I retired and never looked back. Things have gotten really worse the last 2-3 years. Way to much pressure with NCLB and cowtowing to parents. Stick with what you are doing!!

Anonymous said...

You could homeschool your two beautiful boys. They have two very smart parents.

Kiley said...

I totally understand how you feel. Living in RI (but was a teacher in MA) I decided that I could no longer work for a school system that I myself did not believe in. I hated the way things were run, the disrespect from other teachers, students, administrators. I finally decided that teaching (though I LOVE IT and miss it) was not in my future. I left 6 years ago and decided that I would use my time to home-school my kids and become a girl scout leader. I am happy with my choice and even happier that I can teach my kids without all the politics around it.

Kiley
Rhode Island

Kelli said...

Welcome to the club :)

I have been teaching in FL for 5 years and, although I'm dealing with 7 year olds instead of 17 year olds, it's still very stressful! Last year I finished my degree in Guidance and Counseling but those jobs aren't secure b/c of budget cuts. So, for now, I'm still teaching. We'll see how long I last...

Oh, and I have a teaching license in TN where I have never lived! One day, someday, hopefully soon. :)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I haven't been state certified since leaving GA in 1997. I often think of getting a FL lisc. just to do homeschool evals but then I think of studying, tests, $$ and time away from family and just stay put!

WAY TO GO! You could always do evals in your home...YOUR hours...ONCE A year. And most people chare about $50 a child. GOOD MONEY!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for teachers. You don't know the lives you have touched and changed in your time teaching. It's sad that there isn't more support and that good caring teachers like you have to step out.
Thank you for the time and love you gave and for the caring teachers still out there struggling to make a difference.

Jess said...

An insurance license is like that, too. And no suprise on charging you money! ha!

I voluntarily suspended my agent license because I didn't want to deal with the CE, costs, etc....is there anything like that with a teaching license? A "temporary retirement" almost?

PS, Happy Anniversary! :)

Anonymous said...

Kudos for teaching for 5 years! I completed student teaching and that was as far as I could go. I admire those individuals who are in the profession and do a great job. We definitely need them!

Anonymous said...

I"d been away for a couple of weeks and hadn't seen this post. I agree with the 31-year veteran. I did 33+ years and tried to do parttime as an coordinator for an IB applicant program this fall. I just couldn't do it any longer. NCLB is one of the worst things that happened to public education.
Now, two of my brightest former students have decided they want to teach. What do you say to them? They'll have to learn that like the little girl with the curl in her forehead, it's good when it's good and horrid when it is bad.