Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Air conditioner bites the dust

It is currently 87 degrees outside.

It is "feels like" 94 degrees outside.

And we don't have air conditioning.

I know we lived for a month in Nigeria without air conditioning (or running water or electricity for that matter.) But somehow, when you are used to it, and then it is gone, it is incredibly . . . well . . . hot.

I realize I take for granted the little button we push over every day that makes it cooler in the house. Man oh man did we take it for granted.

This is the worst week this could happen. We have had record setting temperatures here for three days in a row. Over 100 every single day I think. Air conditioning would be really nice, especially with two sons who are real hot boxes.

I noticed it was getting warmer and warmer in here at 2pm. By 3pm, we were all sweating. We were planning on meeting Joia at the mall for "Family night" at 5:00 anyways, so we left early to get out of the house. I left Scrubs in his kennel with a fan blowing on him. Poor puppy just laid on the tile when JB let him out.

I called base maintenance. In this weather (I think it was 102 in the afternoon) this is considered an "emergency." They will be here before 11pm. Eleven! So we gave both the boys a cool bath, opened their bedroom windows, shot fans directly on their crib / pack-n-play, and put them to sleep in only their diapers and a pair of shorts.

Dare I say that I miss Minnesota where the first place we rented didn't even HAVE A-C?!

6 comments:

Joia said...

You have my UTMOST sympathy!!! =(

Kelli said...

I'm right there with you girl. We had a 16-year-old a/c that wouldn't cool past 83 in the middle of those hot South Florida days. Last week we took the plunge and had a new one installed! We're not in town to enjoy it right now, but I am looking forward to testing it out when we get back!!

TAV said...

i'll take our 100+ over 0!!!!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

OH MY GOODNESS. This is a nightmare here. Are you all fixed now?

Bethany said...

It's really not that much better here in MN. I'm not sure of the actual temp but it's hot and humid (for MN) and it's miserable to be outside. No 100 degree weather though.

Bethany said...

Oh, I hope you can get your AC fixed soon.