Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Last night in #202

As I write this, I am sitting amidst a living room full of boxes, plants, and bubbled picture frames. We have a tiny TV set up on top of three boxes, and with the Jones, are watching the season finale of American Idol. We just finished eating a barrage of Lesley-leftovers which actually coalesced into a very tasty and healthy meal. There was even dessert. Not too shabby.

The Jones moved out of their condo today. Their new house, down the street from St. Marys, is fantastic -- quite a big step up from their one bedroom on the fourth floor in Rochester Towers. I was glad I was able to see it before we left. It feels like we are becoming grown-ups, even though most teenagers would agree we already are.

Tomorrow, the Kits move out of their own condo. We just upgraded to a larger truck. It means driving a little farther (St. Paul) to pick it up, but I think it will be worth it to assure that all of our "stuff" makes it to Fort Walton Beach. We have quite a lot of stuff.

My office mates at Mayo had a going away lunch for me today. RLS is having one for me on Tuesday. More saying good bye.

It's hard to believe that four years have culminated into where we are now. It is hard to believe that it is really time to say good bye to life-long friends. We came here, knowing only the Ray family. We leave here with a collection of beautiful and incredible individuals who have filled our time in the "Polar North" with lots of laughing, crying, ultimate Frisbee, dominoes, Time's Up, movies, dinners, road trips, and study sessions.

In just a week, "Life in the Polar North" will become "Life in the Polar North Warms Up". In just a week, we'll complete our fourth IVF transfer and relocate nearly 20 hours south in a completely different home and culture. I will no longer wear silk leggings each day. I will no longer heat up rice bags and pray that it breaks the zero mark for at least one morning. I won't patch up my chapped hands with layers of lotion and moisturizing gloves. No more chap stick stashed in every possible crevice. No more Dairy Queens closing for 8 months of the year. No more Rochester, Minnesota.

In just two days, John and Ron will climb into our truck and move us across the country. As we sit here, bundled in boxes and cheering for Blake, I know that this will be a night I will never forget. Eating leftovers, watching our tiny TV, and reminiscing with our good friends. As cold as I have been, I love it here. I know I'll love it there. But I know I love it here.

It's time to go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you Wendi and John. Change is so hard but it's another step to fulfilling your purpose and destiny. Your friends are wonderful and I think you will find that bond will continue. I've seen it w/ your h/s and college buds.(Some even follow you around!! :)) We are so proud of the people you have become! What gifts you are! We prayed from the time you were little that you and Keith would touch and change your generation. You are doing that!!!We are so blessed and so proud!!! We are praying for you in this transition!!

TAV said...

Aww. I can't believe we're saying goodbye to Apt. 202. I can't even count how many hours I have spent with you there and with you greeting me with "Welcome home, Tara" when I come in. I am going to miss you guys sooooooooooooooooooo much. Even though I won't be on your couch, I can cry for you at any time if you miss it too much :) In fact, I think you just got me started.... Love you.

Gabbs said...

I know how hard this must be for you, but at the same time I am so excited to see what your future has in store. Just remember, this isn't "goodbye", but "see you later" because no matter what happens in life, you will see your dear friends again one day, whether here on earth, or in Heaven. You have a life long bond with them that can never be broken.

Anonymous said...

Don't go!!! You can live in the extra bedroom at 211 1st St. #410! :-) I'll heat your rice bags up for you and make you hot chocolate. Stay here!