Friday, April 07, 2006

Phone Phobia: IT'S REAL

So those of you who know me well know that I do NOT like to talk on the phone.

I always thought that this was just something that I alone struggled with and so I tried to fake my way through it. However, the other day, I was watching Oprah and who woulda thunk it but Faith Hill of all people mentioned her extreme dislike for talking on the phone.


I have another friend, Melissa Phillip who is another phone-friend-phobia person. Truth be known: in the two years we have been friends, we have never talked to each other on the phone. And second truth to be known: our friendship is doing just fine.

Another truth: I was not like most teenagers. When I was a teen I avoided talking on the phone as well. Cell phones were not exciting to me. Now I might have to talk when I am away from my house as well.

Yesterday on my way to work, I ran into my friend Ajit. He was on the phone with his mother and I heard him say, "Hey mom, you want to say hi to Wendi?" I quickly shook my head and dodged the offer. Talking to a stranger is absolutely horrific!

So today I searched online for "Phone Phobia"and actually got 16,500 hits! Not surprisingly it is actually called: Telephonophobia. Now, I know this sounds strange and terribly predictable, but, seriously, they actually have websites out there offering counseling services for this disorder. No joke!

So what is this origin of this disorder? One website commented:

"Like all fears and phobias, phone phobia is created by the unconscious mind as a protective mechanism. At some point in your past, there was likely an event linking telephones and emotional trauma. Whilst the original catalyst may have been a real-life scare of some kind, the condition can also be triggered by myriad, benign events like movies, TV, or perhaps seeing someone else experience trauma."
That sounds pretty stupid to me. However, there may actually be some truth in it.

All my life I have attributed my phone phobia to some pervert who called me when I was about twelve years old. I can vividly remember the phone call, my dad, brother, and cousin Jeremy playing cards in the other room around our circular black endtable, and this pervert manipulating me into staying on the phone with him.
However I, honestly, do not know if this is the cause. I think that quite possibly, there is no real root of my phobia. I just don't like talking on the phone.

My first saving grace from talking on the phone was an answering machine. I could screen my calls, and if I wasn't emotionally ready to handle the call, I could wait and call them back when I felt more prepared. However, answering machines were blown out of the water by a new wave of technology!

Email and instant messenger were the BEST things that could have ever happened to me! Suddenly I had an acceptable way to communicate that didn't entail any talking whatsoever. I was saved forever.

Anyways, there is really not a major point to this post. If there is a lesson to be learned, it is a reminder to all my friends and family to not despair because I don't call often. It's just a little telephonphobia.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Days until I start Lupron: 10

Days until I go off birth control pills:14

Days until I start stims: 21

No comments: