Friday, April 21, 2006

Quick Heath Tips: Peanut Butter (from JB)

Jif Creamy Peanut Butter ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts,
Sugar,
Molasses,
Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil,
Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils
,
Salt



Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts,
Salt


My choice? I think it is obvious. The more natural the better. I also think the natural stuff just tastes better. Many store brands are making natural peanut butter of their own, and they cost about a dollar less.

A couple things to know about using natural peanut butters:

1. You need to stir them well before you use them. The natural oils (which are ususally hydrogenated to solidify them in Jif) can separate out of the mix, and stirring it up puts them back in the mix. You only need to do it really well one time, and then a quick stir before you use it each time.

2. Keep the jar refrigerated. This will keep the PB from separating again, and it makes it easier to spread.

Health Tip: Hydrogenated oils (partial or otherwise) are terrible for you. As I said above, hydrogenation solidifies the oil. In a sense, this is what happens to the oil once it gets into your blood stream. Bleaahhhhhh!

Health Tip: Try to avoid a product that adds sugar when there is the same type of product available that doesn't.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this one time, when I was young, we had this dog...and the dog really liked Peanut Butter. So we took the Peanut Butter and spread it on the roof of the dogs mouth!
It was really funny watching the dog try to eat the Peanut Butter!

But now I feel guilty because we gave the dog 'Jif' Peanut Butter and not "Natural" Peanut Butter.

Anyway, that dog died a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

John, why do you have to tell us these things. I love JIF! It kind of reminds me of the inside of a Reese's peanut butter cup (I suppose that's bad for you too!). Ironically, I happened to buy a Smuckers "Natural" the last time I bought PB. I think it was on sale or something :). Linda

Anonymous said...

Josh - just imagine if you wouldn't have given that poor dog Jif... he may still be here with us today. :( I hope you can live with that.

Aunt Linda - I think your association between Jif and Reese's says it all! :) And you didn't say how the natural stuff tasted!

Anonymous said...

It's tastes good in a "healthy" sort of way. You do realize that I grew up with Grandma Gert. I remember carob coated raisons & drinking powdered health drinks & taking a lot of vitamins. But, I also live with a man who thinks Gyros & Rib Tips are a delicacy. I take a little from both worlds. Whole Grain Bread/Cereal, lot's of fruit available, but you'll also find pop & pizza at my house. Oh, and Reeses too... :)
Love Ya!