Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Tribe Life Tuesday: It's the Little Things


Happy holiday season tribers!  As we embark on shopping, decorating our homes, gathering our loved ones, and all the hustle and bustle that the holiday season entails, let’s take a moment to focus on the little things. I found myself in a bit of a quandary this week: it seemed as though the demands of work, home, and the season avalanched on top of me all at once. The reality was that I had been shoveling the piles of my life to the side, causing them to become a mountain and boy did it crumble. The discipline of solitude became the pressure of perfection which led to an unfortunate collapse. It was a collapse of emotion, and out of a screaming match, restless nights, and pent up aggression came the few important reminders:

Choose joy
I believe this is a posture more than a feeling. The dictionary does not agree with me but that’s okay. I’ve known the feeling of joy and the feeling of happy and they are different. Happy to me seems momentary, joy feels more eternal and like a knowledge deep within yourself that all will be well. There is no pretending in joy. Joy is this greater, deeper, satisfaction. It’s ever-present even when I’m unaware of its company. Choosing joy for me looked like staring disappointment in the face knowing there was nothing I could do but embrace that moment and rest assured that we were on the path to greatness.

“...the secret to joy is to keep seeking God where we doubt He is.” Ann Voskamp

Be Grateful
To be honest this one is a constant journey for me. Oftentimes gratitude is not my first response. I am a bit of a driven person and enjoy winning so the tenderness required for instant gratitude can be lacking. But gratitude provides what nothing else will: solid, unhindered perspective. One thing that helps keep the heart grateful is not being fueled by competition. Competition is rooted in comparison and when you’re constantly comparing, there’s no room for gratitude. There is only one you and the best gift you can give to the world is being fully secure in you. Don’t get me wrong, a little healthy competition can bring plenty of benefits but don’t let it be your driving force.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”
Epicurus

Give generously
Giving and living generously is one of my top desires. I want to live a life completely enveloped in generosity and generosity of all kinds: time, money, soul, you name it. To shun selfishness and embrace selflessness is my motto! So I propose to you this; what are you doing for those who cannot repay you or whose relationship doesn’t benefit you in any way? Those are amazing acts of true generosity.

“Every act of selfless love, is a declaration of faith”- Bob Goff

Stay committed
Be strong and push, get tired but don’t give up! Commit to pursuing your best life at any cost, because you are worth it! I have the beautiful problem of over-committing, then being ticked at myself for having to step away... Ugh, eventually I will fall into the right rhythm. You see, I want all of my best self-moments to happen quickly and without the hindrance of with process. That’s just not how life works. It ebbs and flows between amazing moments and crappy life happenings that are propelling us into who we are created to be.

            “Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality.” – Abraham Lincoln

What are the little things that you’re reminding yourself of this season? What helps keep you focused on the most important things when everything seems to go wrong? It’s the little things done habitually that change your present and your future. Love to all of you!

See you next Tuesday!

Carrie

No comments: