Thursday, August 13, 2015

First Piano Lessons!



A few months before we moved out to the farm, I received an email from my homeschool group in our new town. A local church was selling two older pianos for a really great price. Since Dad and Mom were already living at the farm, I asked them to go check it out. They did, and we bought a piano.

Even better was the woman that was there when they bought the pianos. She taught lessons and offered her services. Dad took her number. And yesterday, she showed up to give a lesson to Isaac, Sidge ... and ... wait for it ... me!

I have only had a few "bucket list" items in my life. I wanted to travel a lot. Which I have gotten to do. I wanted to get married and be a mom. Check and check. In addition to learning another language (which I did in Turkey!) I have always wanted to play the piano. I played the clarinet for 4 years in 5th-8th grade (JB was in the band with me). This gave me a good building block for understanding and reading music. But I have always wanted to play the piano.

(My last bucket list item is to write a book. We'll see if I ever get around to finishing that.)

When Abigail was born, JB told me that, as my present, I should take piano lessons. I was giddy about it, but quickly realized, in the sea of PPD and moving to the Azores, that lessons were easier said than done. It quickly blew away into something I would get to "some day."

But now I had found a 40 year veteran of piano and voice lessons who was coming to my house to give my boys a lesson. I tried to talk myself out of doing it. I am too old. Too busy. With too little and too many kids.

But JB talked me back into it and so yesterday, we had three lessons on our farm!

Our plan is for the kids will be taking piano through high school as part of our homeschool curriculum. I obviously can't control what they do with this gift, but I hope they use it as I think it is a great skill to have!

So blessed to have met Ms. Leslie and excited to have her in our home for a long time to come.

1 comment:

TAV said...

This is awesome! I can't wait to have a piano again. So great for kids and adults alike!