Sunday, October 12, 2014

Lego Love

JB has been out of town -- attending a permaculture conference in Ohio. But I have had my in-laws with me which makes him being gone SOOOO much better. On Saturday, I had a great idea. While Dad did some Home Depot shopping with Mom and the baby, I could take the older three kids to this "Touch a Truck" activity I had heard about -- basically a big display of huge machinery kids can climb on. 

Getting everyone dressed and ready to go (including myself) is never a small undertaking. So imagine my disappointment and frustration when I happened to check the website just as we walked out the door and see that due to inclement weather, the "Touch a Truck" activity is cancelled. 

Bummer!

On to Plan B. We are all dressed so we HAVE to go SOMEWHERE. The library is right down the street from Home Depot. Our Public Library is FANTASTIC! There are so many things for the kids to do and play with. And, even better? There just happened to be a lego club meeting right after we arrived. We usually attend the Homeschool club during the week, but this one was just as good as just as much fun.

The kiddos listened to a story about the inventor of the Ferris Wheel. Then they had time to see if they could build something that moves.

(Bit-o-history: The Ferris wheel was named after George Washington Gale Ferris. He invented it in 1893 for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.)

I am still generally opposed to the whole "everyone needs a cell phone everywhere they go" world that I have returned to after living overseas. I keep my data turned off nearly all of the time and don't have any entertainment apps. on my phone.

However, don't get me wrong. I totally get what amazing power these little things are. Two things that I LOVE? The GPS (holy cow! how did we navigate around Turkey without one?) and the camera (which takes pretty stinkin' good pictures.) 

Here are some pictures I managed to snag of the kids making things and then putting them on display in the library's display case until next meeting!








And with the building done, here is my little girl, waiting for Grampa and Grama to come and pick us up. (Her new hairstyle of choice is the french braid which I am actually pretty good at if I do say so myself.)

No comments: