Friday, February 11, 2011

Tall

Went in for Elijah's 2 year appointment with "Dr. Linda" yesterday. Isaac came too just to get his weight checked. They loved the offices. painted with animals and a table that was an elephant! I also used M&Ms for successfully allowing "Dr. Linda" to touch them which was a huge success. (I am embracing bribery whole-heartedly.)

So, as of today, here is we are.

Elijah (35 pounds -- 98th%) (94cm tall -- 96th%)
Isaac (30 pounds -- 40th%) (95cm tall -- 61st%)

You can see that Elijah is, well, huge, and Isaac is, well, normal. You can also see that Isaac is still holding out as being taller than Elijah for probably the last time in his life.

I really don't mind that Elijah is so big, but I must be honest, I have a fear that if we have a girl, she will be huge. Being tall (something I wrote about here) has only become "normal" for me in the last few years of my life. I was 6'2" tall in the 8th grade. (I am 6'3" now.) Being a tall girl is NOT easy. My brother cannot understand why it was so hard for me because, well, he was a boy. Being a big guy is a good thing. Being a tall girl can be okay but can also result in a lot of teasing, especially before you are out of the knees and elbows stage. I do pray that my daughter is not "really" big like Elijah is turning out to be. I think it is totally different with a girl.

My second "concern" is that Isaac never feels unusual because he is not as big as his "little" brother. I know that this could happen even with genetic children -- a vast difference between sizes. But I do hope that he is okay with it and embraces his big ol' little brother.

Okay, signing out for now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother and I couldn't be any different when it comes to our height--and we are bio siblings. I am 5'7" and he is 6'9". There were many times I wished I were taller and many times he has wished he weren't quite so tall. His wife is 6'1" and so far they have two very-tall-for-their-age boys.

Jessica

Ann said...

In one family we know where the younger son was taller than the older, the older son used to cheerfully announce that we was wearing "hand-me-ups"!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love genetics! Opposite here: Jillian is 4 and 27 lbs, 37inches - Ethan is 37 lbs and 41 inches, but he's 5 1/2. Ethan still wears 4T pants! I just hope he make's it as tall as his daddy someday...5'8" - teasing goes opposite for boys. Praying for confidence for our kids. If only we could share some inches...I've always wanted to be 5'2". ;)

Roberta

Anonymous said...

Your daughter will be in good company if she is tall and I love that Charleigh and Baylee will have their Aunt Wendi to identify with in regards to having long beautiful legs. I just know they will be taller than me by 6th grade.

Baylee is in the 90th percentile for weight and head size and 97th for height. She had her 2 week appt. today.

Charleigh goes for her two year in early March, but right now she is 90 cm tall. Later Gator, XOXO AD

Anonymous said...

It isn't bribery...it is positive consequences for behavior modification. LOL (Teacher talk for BRIBERY!)

Love to you all!

~Holly

Amy T. S. said...

Yet one more thing we have in common, Wendi!

(boozz)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Roberta, I agree -- small men and tall women... leave us alone!!

denise said...

My husband is the oldest of 6 (4 of them boys). The youngest boy is the tallest of all! They actually progressively got taller, so the oldest is the shortest, followed by the 2nd, then the 3rd, then the 4th. Funny! I know you are acutely aware of it because of what you went through, and also the nature versus adoption, but even genetically the same children can be quite different. In my husband's family some have blonde hair and some brown. 1 has blue eyes, 1 green, and the rest brown. It's funny! Just thought that might make you feel better.