Saturday, February 05, 2011

Frustrations

We all have our things that can push us over the edge. I think my top "over-the-edge" items include:
  • Having my time wasted.
  • Inconsistency.
  • Being late.

Today, all three of my top three items came to a head in one "Turkish Pass & ID Experience" (yes that is in quotes because yes it is an adventure in and of itself) that left me, calm and collected Wendi, seriously contemplating jumping over a desk and strangling a man in blue camouflage for at least long enough to cause him to panic.

I won't get into all the details but let me explain with a few choice bullet points in sticking with my current blog theme:

  • This is a Turkish Base. Americans (including our leadership) must adhere to Turkish rules.
  • I have lived here seven months now and still do not have a permanent pass to exit and enter the Base. This is due to the fact that I was eligible for my permanent pass in October and that was too close to the end of the year to issue a new pass. They wanted me to wait until January when they reissue every single pass on Base. But their machines are down.
  • My temporary pass expired yesterday. Since it is written on my pass in Turkish (and I have not learned the Turkish months of the year yet) I had no idea it expired.
  • We tried to go to Mia and Aksel's joint birthday party today (Rana and Jake's children). We left at 9:15 for a 10am party in Adana. When we got to the gate at 9:20, I learned that my pass had expired.
  • It took me from 9:20am until 10:20am to obtain a 3-day pass that will have to be renewed on Monday for another 30 day pass that will then have to be renewed by a permanent pass when the machine is up and working and I am eligible. (Can we say "waste of time?")
  • The one hour delay was because, in the course of an hour, we were sent back to our house two times (first to get a regular passport and then to get a no-fee passport). We were also sent back to JB's office two times (first to get his NATO orders and then to get our PCS orders.)
  • Mind you, we were sent back for all of this even though they had a photo copy of every single item in front of them and despite the fact that I have previously gotten a 3-day pass without being required to show anything but my ID and expired pass.

I was so angry. I was so frustrated. In staying with my bullets, here is what frustrated me:

  • Having my time wasted. There were so many times during this hour that we were just standing there waiting, when they knew they were going to send me home again. Send me home now! Don't make me stand there while you complete steps 1-4. Send me home during this time!
  • Inconsistency. How can you need certain things one time and other things another time? That makes no sense.
  • Being late. We didn't get to the party until 10:45am.

I plan to write another, separate, more thought out blog, in the days to come, discussing how this example demonstrates on a larger scale our frustrations in living in Turkey and on Incirlik Air Force Base. We were warned prior to moving here that this place can be a pressure cooker where people just reach a point that they explode. I am seeing this to be accurate. We love living here, but we have been really facing some stressors in our life here (some of which are not related to Turkey but are just related to being homesick and my general health).

Like I said, that requires a post all in and of itself, but for now, just use my example to feel what we are feeling here. For now, please pray that the Lord gives me a renewed vigor for the life we chose and He is having us lead here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh MY! SOOOO frustrated for you. Praying, praying.

Jenny in FL

Anonymous said...

This may be a dumb question, but what is the reasoning behind making seemingly simple issues so complex and difficult? Why do they make it so that there are so many hoops to jump through??

I hope this gets cleared up soon!

Anonymous said...

Do these people just like to assert their power and push people around? If their actions were based on rules, they would be consistent. If they act on their desire for engaging in a show of power, that explains the inconsistencies.

Does it help to be disarmingly sweet and charming? I'm sure arguing would just increase their "difficultness."

Anonymous said...

(((hugs)))

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Yes, being sweet and charming WOULD help. But I lost my cool this time. I started off sweet but just couldn't keep it up.

And to the another anonymous reader, the problem is that this is another country. They have their OWN ways of doing things and we are subject to them. It is one of the chief frustrations on this Base because if we were in charge, we WOULD do it differently.

But we aren't. We are guests of Turkey and the Turkish military on this Base so we have to follow their rules. It's what can overrun us sometimes.