Tuesday, November 01, 2005

More storm pictures

You can see pictures of my old school by clicking: www.flcs.org.

Here's an email my brother sent out about the storm.


Well hello,
I'm not one for mass e-mails, but I thought the time was appropriate given the circumstances. This is the first time I've had access to the internet in over a week.


What a week. Let me start off by saying that all is well down here. There is a lot of damage and a lot of clean up to do, but no one I know was hurt in any major way. Trees are down everywhere. Probably 75% of the traffic lights are gone and every street has had some sort of debris that needs to be avoided.

As far as me personally. I got power back in my condo some time Friday. My parents got power back Thursday morning. I boarded up my condo for the first time this storm. The weathermen were saying that the storm would weaken as it approached the penninsula, but that definitely did not happen. Many people did not board up because they were told the storm would not be too big. I had dodged bullets last year when Frances and Charley went by. For some reason, I felt my luck had run out. I am so glad I boarded up. One of my buddies spent the last hour of the storm holding his sliding glass door because it was buckling and was almost sucked right out of the house.

I stayed with my girlfriend and her parents during the storm. It turned out to be a real fun time. We played games and slept mostly. I will say that I have never eaten better than I did this past week. Everyone was having people over to cook off their food before it spoiled. I've had turkey, lobster, crablegs, shrimp, steak 2 or 3 times, burgers, dogs, blueberry cornbread, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, chicken wings. I'll stop as I'm sure many of you are a little hungry at this point.

Today (Tuesday) is the first day back to work. Our school (Fort Lauderdale Christian)sustained some pretty substantial damage. There is a 130X15 foot hole in the gym roof. All but one of the athletic field lights snapped in half. The softball dugouts peels open like tin foil and every major branch on every tree was snapped off. We had a clean up day last Thursday. about 50 people showed up and worked for 4 hours to get the place functional.



I will stop writing for now. You can see some of the pictures of FLCS and the surrounding neighborhood at www.flcs.org

Love you all,
Keith Huisman
Fort Lauderdale Christian School
Crusader Athletic Director
Phone: (954)972-3444
Fax: (954) 977-2681



No comments: