Monday, July 31, 2017

We Bought a Farm: When the strawberries call, you answer

I am realizing that it is important to make connections. It is important to pay attention to those connections. It is important to stay in touch with those connections and foster them.

Yesterday, I got a Facebook message from a friend I've made in town. He's a local pastor, homeschool dad, and permaculture fan. Just an all-around awesome guy. He attended our permaculture conference, and we've purchased some plants from him in the past.

It's a long story, but his cousin runs a HUGE strawberry/raspberry greenhouse about 45 minutes from our house. Due to loss of funding, they are shutting it down. The question: did we want to come to the greenhouse from 2-4pm the next day and collect berries?

I actually had other plans but really felt this was an opportunity to big to pass up. These are organic fruit! And it was free!

So I cancelled my other plans. John was working. But our intern, Jacob agreed to go. Dad and Mom were out of town but came in two minutes before we had to leave which was a Godsend as Hannah was able to stay with them.

We had no idea what to expect when we got there, but it soon became obvious that we were going to get a TON of berries! Here's two pictures of the three kiddos in one of the raspberry aisles:



And me with one of about 20 buckets like this we collected of strawberries:


In the end, check out this video below to see our haul. It was AMAZING:


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

strawberry jam

TAV said...

Do you freeze them? I must say I can't see you baking a pie!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

If it were up to me, I would freeze all of them for my smoothies. I eat a smoothie for lunch everyday. But grama also wants to make jam!

I have zero interest in baking or canning!

Unknown said...

Wow. How sad and cool at the same time.

Lisa Cronk said...

I am so jealous of your gigantic haul of organic berries! YUM!!
: ) Lisa