Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day


To my husband, John, ... who stood by me during years of long distance dating, college basketball, eighty hour work weeks, medical school, and many years of wondering if he'd ever be a father. I am so unbelievably blessed that you chose me to be your wife. You truly are the most perfect man to raise my children with. Isaac and Elijah idolize you, and I am still in awe that we have a little girl.

To my father, George, ... who raised me to love the Lord, give my full effort to everything I put my hand to, and to always cheer for Chicago. Thank you for always loving me, even when I was quite unloveable.

To my father-in-law, Ray, ... who has never had anything but a kind word and gentle hug for me from the day I met him. Thank you for raising such a quality son who I am lucky enough to call my husband.

To my grampa Huisman, Martin "Mike", ... who went home to the Lord nearly twenty years ago but whose "Draw Four!!" in UNO, frustration with Grama monitoring his diet, and commands to his stuffed dog still make me smile.

To my grampa Medema, John, ... who loved to scare me by taking out his dentures and regularly made trips to South Florida to stay a part of our lives.

Happy Father's Day to all of these wonderful men. And, of course, as always, I am remebering those of you who are grieving on this day. It's a day to honor those we love. But it is also a day to remember those we have lost or those who are still waiting to be a father.

No comments: