Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

Here is a minute and six seconds in our lives that adequately portrays how crazy things can go. In this video you will see:
  • Me find out that Isaac has just peed in the backyard.
  • Abigail get into Isaac's breakfast which he had left on the floor.
  • Elijah get yogurt in his hair. 
  • Me cooking eggs that I wasn't planning on eating.
  • Isaac sum up our morning with the word "Banane-yot" which is his new word for everything!
You will also not see:
  • The two eggs I had just dropped and Scrubs had licked up.
  • The book in front of Abigail that she will rip a few seconds after I turned off the camera.



In addition, you will not see what I learned moments after eating my eggs. The phone rang and JB was on the other end. He was giving me some frustrating information. We couldn't get Scrubs on our commercial flight to the Azores in June due to plane type (which the lovely Rana discovered for us after many calls and Turkish talk that was integral to helping us understand what was going on). So the military is requiring all of us to switch to a military flight. I am glad to have Scrubs on a military flight. They are used to having pets. It will be easy to have him on a military flight to Lajes. It's also much cheaper.

Only, we can't go straight to Lajes.

Get this. We only need to travel the purple line shown on the map below:


But the military flight will make us travel the red line. Instead of just flying to Lajes field, we will have to fly to Germany, then to Baltimore. Then back to the Azores. There is no direct flight to Lajes. So we have go through Baltimore.

"Okay," I said to JB, as I balanced Abigail in one arm and tried to keep her from pulling the receiver away from my ear with the other. "So one of us takes the dog and a kid, and the other person can fly the short commercial flight with two kids. That sounds good."

And then things started moving in slow motion.

"No," JB says, and I immediately see where this is going. "They are saying we must all fly together. When we move, they want us all together. We must go with all the kids to Germany. To Baltimore. Then back to the Azores. All the kids and the dog."

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

"No, I'm not."

Of course, we'll do more research. We'll see. We'll pray. But as of today, this is what we are being told.

Just another reason that the military life, while grand in many ways, is not the life for us.

Cue me pulling hair out.


6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh Wendi, I could cry for you right now. How very frustrating. I will pray that another alternative becomes available. Ultimately, I know the Lord will see you through this time, but it would sure be nice if it could be a little easier on you! :-)

Stephanie Doyle said...

Oh my, that was a crazy morning!! And sorry about the bad news about such a long journey to get to your new home! Hope it all works out and turns out easy.

Faith said...

Yikes. I was laughing...until the last part. That sounds like insanity! I hope you can figure out how you don't have to do that.

Joy Z said...

Oh Wendi! I so understand. I will be praying for your upcoming move and for your headache. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm just picturing the govt taking over our healthcare now...! I think you'd better take a nice week's vacation in Baltimore MD and why not a side trip to WA DC to see the govt in action there too! :)

Anonymous said...

That was me above -tante Jan :)