Friday, April 20, 2012

Turkish & Portuguese

I am so close.

I have worked so hard to learn this language, and I feel that I am right at the cusp of really, really learning it. I truly feel that if I had one more year in Turkey, and could spend it living off of the Base, I would have it down pat. It is all starting to come together for me. The pronouns. Endings. Harmony. It's all making sense.

And now it is almost time to go. Now, when I can go into a restaurant and talk to people and even, sometimes, share something humorous in their language.

I have decided that I will have to stop learning and practicing Turkish when we move to the Azores. While I could keep learning it, there won't be anywhere to practice it, and that practice is what truly aids in the learning. And, as I already knew, Turkish is not a very useful language outside of Turkey. It isn't like Spanish. French. German. It's much more obscure than that.

So, in response to the question everyone has been asking me: "Do you plan to learn Portuguese?" the answer, is, "Yes, I do." I'm going to quit studying and practicing Turkish and make a clean switch. I have to. My brain cannot learn two language at the same time. I get way too confused.

And, even better, is that we are hopeful our boys may be able to acquire a second language at one of the most perfect times in their life. There is a free Portuguese preschool available to the boys, and we think we are going to put them in -- three mornings a week. This will hopefully give them a second languagebetweent the ages of three and six, some of the best years to do so.

And me. There's no free preschool for me. So back to the computer and audio recordings I go. Out with the old, and in with the new.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have Isaac and Elijah learn it then you're going to need to know it pretty decently so that you can continue to speak it after you leave the country. That way they may retain some of it.
Supposedly I was fluent in a Nigerian language when I was 5... I don't remember a single word now :(
Heather K

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Heather, very good point! We are keeping that in mind and hopeful that we can continue it -- maybe with tutoring. Either way, I think it will help their intellect to HAVE known another language. I mean, look how smart you are!

Oh, and the pillowtop mattress pad -- you may have saved a life here. Between that and the microwave, we are in heaven!

Anonymous said...

Portuguese is a beautiful language! I lived in Brasil for 10 years and I love Portuguese. Don't know if you now a bit of Spanish, but that would be a huge advantage. I'm sure your kids will pick it up super quickly. Pity that it's physically impossible for me to help you with learning Portuguese.
Rinette

Anonymous said...

sorry, not now but know

miss fluffy said...

It will be very helpful for them - I think - in several ways for them to learn languages now! I was taught a little bit of French in daycare, and, right or wrong, I'm convinced it made learning a language in high school much easier for me... even if I didn't really remember any of the French I learned as a child. I wonder if it didn't also help in music and math, as I see the three quite related.

As for you... if you know even a little bit of Spanish, I think you will find Portuguese similar enough to be a big help! I was a Spanish major in college and took one semester of Brazilian Portuguese for fun, and it was amazing how quickly I could pick it up. One semester doesn't get you far, but you see the patterns that allow comprehension to come a bit more easily. Have fun!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas folks. We are wide open to suggestions on this!

Anonymous said...

STUDENTS CHOICE HERE

Job Tips, Interview Tips, Latest Text papers, Exam Results, Question papers, Answer papers, Job Applications, Online Education Topics,

http://online-education-topics.blogspot.com

GOOD LUCK TO ALL STUDENTS !