I'm a bit disappointed right now. My spirits have been a bit dashed.
We thought we had all of our storknesting travel figured out. However, as I am sure you all know from your own life disappointments, one little "glitch" can cause the entire house of cards to come crumbling down.
We thought that Sunexpress airlines was offering tickets to Germany for about $100 each. However, when we tried to purchase them, we realized that in fact, it was only the leg to Istanbul that was $100. The leg from Istanbul to Frankfurt would cost another $200 each.
When tickets were just $100 a piece, we came up with a plan. A plan that would allow me not to have to travel with the boys myself. A plan that would allow us to be away from JB the minimal amount of time. A plan that would allow Veronica to travel with us.
But when a ticket is $300 a piece, you have to start looking at things differently -- especially when you are multiplying all tickets x 5 (our family and Veronica). $500 compared to $1500 obviously registers in your pocketbooks quite differently.
It now appears that I will have to take a rotator (this is the free military flight from here to Germany) a week earlier than I would like. I just can't wait for the rotator the following week. I'll be too close to 36 weeks (you are not allowed to fly past 36 weeks commercially or via rotator.) In addition, that week is the week after school gets out and we are pretty confident the rotator will be booked solid. While I am guaranteed a seat, the boys and JB are not. (And Veronica has to fly commercially either way.)
So I'm just feeling a little frustrated. This change of plans means that I will have to fly the rotator by myself, 36 weeks pregnant, with both boys. Veronica will fly commercially separately. JB will come out a week later, hopefully via the very full rotator full of school children returning home to the States for summer vacation.
As I write this, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. And I am trying to convince myself that it is not. But I just got my hopes up and then found them a bit dashed.
And while I recognize that the fall is a long way away, all these travel issues have left me woe-ing how to handle our hopeful return to the States sometime in November of this year. We have not been back to the States yet. It appears that we will probably not be able to go home until late fall. (Maybe November?) JB would like to time our trip home with a Wilderness Medicine Conference being held somewhere out west. I really do not feel like going back to South Florida. I don't feel like dealing with the long travel days and "forcing" three children to flip their sleep. But I do want the boys to be able to see their grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.
Here's the issue. JB will not be able to get more than 10-14 days off at one time. That is just not enough time to make it worth it for me and the three kiddos to come to the States. If we are going to go and flip sleep, we need to stay 3 weeks at least. (This is basically a "rule" when you talk to people who make the trip. Don't get for less than 3 weeks or the sleep battles will not be worth it.)
But how do I get home without JB? If we fly the rotator, my only choice is to do it by myself. I can't take a non-military person with me on the rotator. Sigh ...
So my options are: recruit someone to come back with us and fly commercially with our daughter (the daughter would be a free ticket) while I fly with the boys. Or, fly back with all three kiddos by myself. Or, go back with JB after too short a visit.
Just pray for us. Lots to be considering!