Saturday, November 28, 2009

Good bye again!

Grampa and Grama with our boys.

I say good bye so often that long ago, I stopped saying it. I say "so long" now. I say "see ya' later." I pretend I'll see someone again before we move in the hopes to avoid the dreaded good byes. Hate 'em.

I left home when I was 18 years old. That was 1995. Fourteen years ago if you can believe that. In that time, I have said good bye to everyone in South Florida. When we left Kentucky in 2003, we did it again. Said good bye to people we had spent eight years of my life with. And, then, in 2007, once again. This time we left the Polar North after making some lifelong friends during medical school.

I've also had to say "see ya' later" to our families so often. So many visits. So many times they come to see us, and then leave. So many times, we go "home" to see them, and then we leave. It gets easier. It really does. I used to cry every time. I don't cry anymore. It's too exhausting.

But I still hate it.

I remember when I was little. When our grandparents would come and visit us in Fort Lauderdale, I'd sob when they leave. My brother would hide under his bed. We'd lament the loss for hours after they left.

I have a feeling I'll be nursing my boys through that same thing in the years to come.

We won't be stopping our good byes anytime soon. In June, we'll do it again. Leave that is. For two years at least. Maybe four. Go to a new place.

And then say good bye again.

I write all this to say that today, JB's family headed back down to warmer times. Another good bye. We had a wonderful visit. Watched movies. Read. Ate. And then, as you all probably did, ate some more. The only thing that was missing this year was the Macy's Day Parade and football . . . . courtesy of our decision to can the cable. But anyways, it's good and needed to have your house back and get things back to normal, but you miss the familiar presences that you had to say "so long" too yet again.

Even though I know this is the direction our life is taking, sometimes you are reminded. Life is so short. So short and yet we are so far apart from the people that we love. That's hard sometimes. I guess that's why the holidays can be a bittersweet time for so many of us.

I especially want to say a quick thank you to all our military who are spending the holidays away from those they love. God Bless you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww...i understand...sounds like life as a missionary! tante Jan