Friday, November 20, 2009

National Adoption Awareness Month


I read a fantastic blog by a lady from Minnesota whose story is similar to ours. Her first miracle grew inside someone else. Then her second miracle grew inside her. Her children aren't quite as close as mine but close enough to make the stories eerily similar.

I like her blog because she is a writer too. Because she had a room in her house that was supposed to be a nursery and never was. Because she fell in love with a child not biologically related to her just as we did. And she watched the Lord give her a surprise second blessing when she was simply in awe of getting one.

I say all this to share her entry from November 16th about National Adoption Awareness Month. I have been trying to choose my words on a blog about this special month, when I read her post and realized that she had basically said everything I would have liked to say.

My friend writes about the 129,000 children in foster care in the U.S. waiting for a forever family. She writes, "Imagine the pain we experienced longing for a child. Well imagine the pain these kids feel longing for a parent and wanting to call someone mom or dad. It's enough to make me cry."

I agree.

This year's theme is "You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent." I encourage you to visit their website by clicking here. But be warned. Your heart will be pricked. If you are anything like me you will want to adopt every child you see. You can click here for an exhaustive search based on criteria of your choosing to see all the children that need a home.

I am becoming more and more passionate about the children in our country waiting for a loving forever family. I know adoption is not for everyone. I am not trying to say it is. But I do feel passionate that it isn't just the families who can't have children who can adopt. Anyone can adopt. And you don't have to be perfect to do it.

If these children leave the foster system (by turning 18) without a family, they will spend the rest of their life without a family, a home-base, someone to call when things get tough. I know this post isn't for everyone. My prayer as a write this is that just one person who reads this will find the Holy Spirit pricking their heart.

Kayla is just one example that touched my heart when I started searching. She's 15. "Although a little shy at first, she opens up once she gets to know you, and shows her outgoing and entertaining side. Kayla is a very loving person and enjoys taking care of others which, combined with a love for animals, suits her desire to become a veterinarian when she grows up. She also loves to swim and play outside, but relishes quiet time for reading. Kayla's looking for a fun and happy family, and would thrive in a loving and caring home able to care for her needs."

If just one child was adopted because of someone reading this post, it was worth writing. While this is not the right time for JB and myself with two young boys and getting ready to move (possibly overseas) in half a year, we know this is something we want to do someday and pray the Lord leads us to the perfect child.

A perfect child for a family that doesn't have to be perfect. Just willing to love them.

No comments: