Friday, November 13, 2009

book report

So, before my trip becomes too distant, and I forget the books, I read, I need to do my book report. So, here we go. (And don't worry -- I don't spoil any plots here!)

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks: Read this on the plane on the way to Mexico. Not nearly as good as The Notebook, The Wedding, A Walk to Remember, or Dear John but a light, easy read that does encourage you to keep reading. Love story that includes a child with special needs.

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult: Excellent book! I liked this much better than her book My Sister's Keeper. Very interesting look into the Amish community. Picoult is a fantastic writer and definitely does her research. A warning however. I would not suggest those dealing with infertility or pregnancy loss of any sort read this book. However, otherwise, this was probably my favorite read of the trip. I am now planning on reading a lot more of Picoult's books!

Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury: All right so I admit it. I was a little leary of a Christian fiction writer. Overall, there aren't many I have read that can pull off great writing mixed with the Lord. But Karen Kingsbury is fantastic! Not quite as good as Jodi Picoult, but just the same, I really loved this book. It's a very quick read. However, a warning, it deals with the topic of abortion. If you have had abortion near to your heart, I believe that you would find this book healing (but better to ask someone who is more knowledgable on the topic than I am). However, if you are dealing with infertility, this might be too much for you.

One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury: Another winner! Loved it! A longer read and a bit deeper than Shades of Blue but wow! What an interesting story. Possibly a little "unbelievable" but still, very good. This is the first in a 911 series that she did. Way good. There is a brief reference throughout the book to the loss of an infant at birth, but otherwise, probably a pretty safe read for all groups. I plan to read tons more of Kingsbury's books!

Double Minds by Terri Blackstock: I have not finished this yet, and quite honestly, I am not sure I will. It's also a Christian book, and it just feels a tad corny to me. It's written pretty well, but I am not sure that it's good enough for me to finish it.

7 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

I just finished Shades of Blue, too. Really liked it. I love Karen Kingsbury. I have a couple other good Christian authors for you...I need to dig them up and email them to you!

Kendra said...

I have tons of Kingsbury books if you ever want to borrow any! :) I also have a good series by Dee Henderson who is a good christian author but hers are more mysteries. I like series that keep you wanting more.

Thanks for sharing, glad you found some good reads! I am going to have to check out Jodi. :)

Danielle said...

Thanks for the warnings for all of us dealing with infertility, and I will definatly look into some Kingbury books!

Brittny said...

do you own the books or did you borrow them or did you check them out? i too have had little faith in christian fiction, but i've heard good things about her. i'm in the middle of a good book right now, but looking for one to read when i'm done. thanks for the book report.

Anonymous said...

I've read pretty much all of those too, and would have to agree with most of your assessment's.
I am currently reading a series of books by Philip Gulley, "The Harmony Series". I like them. I'm just starting his 3rd book. They're different. A relaxing read. I like that sometimes.
Linda

Jennifer said...

I recommend the Dee Henderson series too. Her books are what hooked me on Christian fiction because they are not the usual "life always end up happy" books.

TAV said...

I will have to get some Kingsbury. And ALL of Picoult's books are amazing, I think!