Friday, September 26, 2008

Off to Atlanta

Tomorrow morning, I fly to Atlanta.

Tomorrow evening, I fly home.

Tomorrow I will leave Isaac and Scrubs and JB on base all by themselves. I will take myself and my nineteen recently gained pounds one hour east. It's the longest I have ever been away from Isaac. Good practice I say for mandatory couples' weekends that we plan to take in the future! Not sure when. But someday!

Anyways, one hour east I go. Or is it two hours since I gain an hour in the process? Anyways, that doesn't matter. I'm taking a day trip is all I know. I don't even need a suitcase. Just a carry-on bag. I need my jump drive, a camera, some papers, and enough snacks to make sure I stay properly hydrated and fed for the course of an entire day. Or at least fed. These "no liquid rules" mean I'll probably have to spend $3.50 on water when I cross the threshold of the security line.

Hey! Maybe I'll take an empty water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain on the other side. My cheap friends would appreciate the ingenuity of that frugality.

(Cheap friends, you know who you are. You are cheaper than me which is hard to be. You are doctors. One of you lives in Minnesota. The other one lives in California. You'd eat anything in your fridge no matter how moldly before you dared throw it down the sink. You are frugality queens.)

The trip is for work. The RLS Foundation is hosting regional meetings across the country. A staff person is always in attendance. Atlanta is close for me. I can fly in and out on the same day. So I was the lucky person picked to make the trip.

I have realized that even though I have flown hundreds of times, I have never flown in and out on the same day. Something new.

I also realized that even though I have taken a cab many times in my life, I have never taken one by myself. Another first for me.

I'm sure I'll have some pictures of my trip. They'll be for work, but I can share them with you. I'm sure you'll find the conference room and speakers exhilarating! I'm sure you'll check the blog early on Sunday morning to get filled in on this exciting day.

Okay, maybe not. But I'll post them just the same.

See you on Sunday everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your idea about bringing an empty water bottle and filling it up in the airport is fabulous. Two thumbs up! Have a safe and fun trip to Atlanta and back!

yuan family said...

I always take an empty water bottle with me and fill it up passed security...it works really well! Sometimes I even fill it up at the fountain drink stations outside of restaurants! Have a safe trip.

Rachel and Hans said...

Who is Minnesota Frugal Queen? I like her.
You should first fill the empty water bottle up with nuts though. That way you don't waste space, and you have a snack as well. After you eat the nuts, then you can fill up with water.

Hans "stingy" Minnesota Doctor

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Her name rhymes with Wesley.

Anonymous said...

I have done the "take a water bottle with me" thing the last few times I have flown. Be sure to pull it out of your bag and show it to them before putting it through the scanner. They will pull your bag apart if you leave it in there.

Have a good time!