Monday, June 23, 2008

The secret is out

I took the test in the Minneapolis airport.

I suppose that is the first thing I should tell you. I, honestly, did not think that it was any big deal that I did such until I started repeating the story and surprisingly received replies like, "Are you kidding?" "That's so funny!" or "Really?!"

But yes, I found out that I was pregnant in the Minneapolis airport. Leave it to the Polar North to store itself in my blood quite permanently.

I had just come from lunch with my coworkers at the Mayo Clinic and had received some gift certificates for Target to celebrate Isaac's arrival. Lesley and I stopped at Target to pick up some formula for Isaac, and I thought, "What the heck. It's not my money. I'll buy a stupid test."

I had long ago promised myself that not another little red cent of my money would be spent on any stupid home pregnancy test. If it weren't for that promise, I would have bought a test at the Commissary before we left for Minneapolis. I had been feeling sick for weeks and just couldn't shake the nausea that seemed to accompany me everyday. I convinced myself that it was fatigue from having a six week old in our home, but day after day it seemed to get worse and just wouldn't go away. I had even mentioned my upset stomach on the blog a few times. In the Commissary that day, I walked up to the tests, put my hand on one, and then immediately slapped myself back into remembering my promise! No more money on those stupid tests Wendi! Quit it! Walk away from the pregnancy tests! And I did. Had I not, I would have known before I left for Minnesota.

But here I was in Target with a gift certificate. This wasn't my money technically. So I scooped it up and slid it into the bag with the formula. I didn't tell anyone what I had done. I didn't tell Lesley who was my ride to the airport nor did I have the opportunity to tell JB.

I don't know if I planned on taking the test in the airport restroom, but after feeding Isaac, we still had an hour before take-off. What to do with this extra time? I know, I'll change Isaac and maybe take that stupid test and rule out pregnancy as the reason for this never-ending nausea. Honestly, that's all it was. A rule-out procedure.

So into the restroom I went. I put Isaac on the changing table and went and took the test. I walked back over to change Isaac and out of the corner of my eye stole a peek.

WHAT THE HECK?!

I was sure the test was upside down. Or sideways. Or, something. What the heck was going on?! How could there be two lines?! These were not the kind of lines you had to hold up to the light. These were obvious. Glaring. I walked over to Isaac. I whispered, "You are six weeks old!" I went back to the test and whispered, "And you are positive!"

Isaac was honestly the main thing on my mind at that moment. I know I speak for JB when I tell you that we are head over heels for this little boy. I do not even think about the fact that he is not biologically related to me. He is our boy! We love him so much! My first thought when I saw those two lines was that there had to be some mistake. My second thought was that I never wanted him to feel like he wasn't part of our plan. How could I ever love another child as much as I loved Isaac? And how could I take care of another child while still taking care of Isaac? I know some of these thoughts are thoughts that parents of two biological children face and some were because he was adopted. Either way, the thoughts were all surrounding our little Isaac.

It was during that cacophony of thoughts that I decided to call JB.

I asked him if he was sitting down, and he said, "Oh my gosh!" He knew instantly. I didn't have to say it. For weeks my nausea and other nagging symptoms had been like the white elephant in the room -- we knew they were there, but we never dared breathed the fact that all these symptoms were starting to stack up on top of each other. As far as we knew, there was no way that I could be pregnant. I had done infertility treatments for five years! How could I be pregnant without anything at all?

A miracle. God. That is truly the only explanation.

I can just picture God in heaven for these last five years looking down, telling me to hold on, quit whining, just wait. And I can just picture him when the moment finally came when all the years would come to a point of culmination in a restroom in the Minneapolis airport.

Once out of the airport, JB took me straight to the hospital where he had already set up for an ultrasound. Isaac was crying, hungry, so I laid on the table and bounced him on my chest. It was completely and utterly surreal. JB prepared me for what we might see, and quite honestly, I was ready for it. He told me that this could be ectopic or a deceased child, or any number of other variables. I was okay. I had Isaac. I could handle this. We had handled so much. We could handle this. I know we could.

But two seconds into the ultrasound, JB looked up, swallowed, and looked at me, searching for words. What is it? I asked him back without saying a word. And that when he said, "Wendi, that's a heartbeat."

Wendi, just kept bouncing Isaac. She watched the screen where a tiny little baby came into view. A tiny baby. Inside her womb.

The only other time I had seen this in person was when I sat next to Bri so many months ago.

JB started measuring. Without a regular cycle, I had no idea how pregnant I was. From all I could estimate, I could be as much as four months pregnant. JB eased my fears slightly. 7 weeks and 3 days from the measurements. Not official but as close as we know for right now. As of today, I am 8 weeks pregnant. As of today, I am due February 1st. I went in for blood work the next day. Other than being a bit anemic, I am doing great.

Do we know how this happened? Well, technically. But honestly, this is nothing more than a miracle. I also know that this had to happen in this order. Isaac is supposed to be in our family, and Bri picked us because of our struggles to have a family. Had we had a child, would she have even thought of us? Would Joan have thought of us? Would Isaac be living somewhere else? I can't imagine that. Isaac is our pride and joy. He is our first born. He will always be our amazingly awesome and special son. No biological child could ever change that. I love him so much I cannot express it adequately in words.

I so appreciate those of you who have posted, both here, and on Hannah's Prayer (my infertility support board) that this post has brought you encouragement. I need to hear that so much. I have so often been on the receiving end of this news. Sometimes I could find encouragement in it, but sometimes, it hurt me. Will it ever be my turn?

We were at peace with the fact that it may never be our turn, and we were going to trust God and His plan no matter what. If that meant never being pregnant -- so be it. Isaac's arrival made that especially okay. If it was just Isaac, forever, we were okay. But now, we'll be okay, with a sibling for Isaac that will be less than 9 months younger than him. For all we can figure out, this child was conceived before Isaac was born -- within a few days or a week -- but before Isaac joined us in the world.

So I'll stop here, lest I overwhelm you with adjectives like: ELATED, SHOCKED, TERRIFIED, ECSTATIC, DUMBFOUNDED, SCARED, HAPPY, EXUBERANT, OVERWHELMED, CONFUSED . . . our house has been a flurry of these adjectives for quite a few days now. The list to describe my heart and JB's heart is endless.

I told JB we needed a new stroller. "No, Wendi," he said. "We need more than a stroller. We need a new car (Or minivan? Oh my!)" Oh, right. Two backward facing car seats and a double stroller will not fit in our tiny Saturn. But geesh. If we can trust God for a baby (or even not trust Him for a baby) we can surely trust Him to take care of the details.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll try to let you into my heart and try to express the emotions swirling. Emotions for Isaac and the gift he is. And emotions for this tiny life that, somehow, is growing inside of me.

But for today, that's enough. I'm pregnant. I think I am going to write a book.

P.S. Here is a reply PowerPoint from my parents, brother, and AD after the news.

36 comments:

crazystegmamaof4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What an amazing post to read! Thank you for sharing more of the inside scoop with us!

I am so grateful to have such a "front row seat" to see all of this unfold! Praise God! =0)

Amy T. S. said...

want 2 read this right now but have squirmy 8 mo. ol in arms squealing! be back

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all of you, and what a blessing from God. You two are great parents and your quiver shall be full. The kids and I were so happy to hear this news!! God Bless your family,
Scott Ray and Kids

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Speechlessly overjoyed...that's my thought on this post. Sitting here crying...happy, happy tears. You have such a gift for letting us all feel your feelings...and we will all be right along side you during these next 7 mos. What a miracle this baby is just like his big brother is. And what a story to tell him/her about the "airport test" :) I love it all! Been waiting all day for more details...thanks for posting, friend! (sorry I deleted my first comment...I hadn't finished my comment and I accidentally posted it...I guess I'm just so frazzled still by your news!) :) Blessings all around to your growing family! Love, Kel

Aimee said...

Still excited and was laughing so hard that you took the test at the airport! Isn't it funny how we can overlook the obvious when our hearts have been broken so many times before?
I am so excited that you get to experience all the pregnancy ups and downs for yourself. I know this has been a dream for far too long. God does answer prayers!
God is good all the time, all the time, God is good.
I love the posts about Irish twins by the way. You'll have your hands full for sure, but its the best kind of full!
Congrats again and maybe your next trip to the Polar North, I'll have the chance to hang out with you and TWO babies!!!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, FYI...I checked the counter on your blog yesterday right before you posted the news about your pregnancy, and I just checked it again now... Since yesterday it has gone from 137,016 to 137,909!!! EVERYONE is interested in your news! =0)

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Ok, I'm posting again cuz I forgot to look at the "reply powerpoint" before. That is hilarious...I love Gramma Di and Grampa Coach's reactions...and that smooch...whoa baby! :) What a happy, happy family...what a year of celebration and joy...only to be followed by more in 2009...the pics say it all! So happy for all of you!!!

Joy Z said...

Thanks for sharing all the details! I've been checking all day for this post just on the edge of my seat waiting to hear. What a gift you are giving to all of us to share the details and thoughts of your amazing life blessed by God.

Joanna said...

The details are priceless! I can't believe you found out in an airport, LOL! :) I'm still just SO happy for you all and kind of pinching myself, unable to believe it is real. I'm sure nothing compared to the pinching you're doing though!

P.S. You SHOULD write a book!

Anonymous said...

I'm in tears. What a blessing God has given you.

(As long as I'm looking at your blog I gotta go watch the video of Joia again....priceless :D )

Bethany

yuan family said...

I love the powerpoint response from your family..that was my reaction too! I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing all of the details that I was wondering about. We will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is.... WOW!! Congratulations from everyone in the Turner lab!! I think my jaw literally dropped open when I read your news & I couldn't contain myself so I started telling everyone.... We're all so happy for you!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh!! this sounds just like our story!!! This is great!! Congrats it'll all work out b/c this was in God's plan from the beginning!! I wouldn't have the faith and testamony i have today if it wasn't for everything we went thru to be where we are!!

Anonymous said...

EEEEEk! Wendi, Travis and I are sitting at the computer reading your blog together. I cried when i read 'Wendi, that's a heartbeat!'
What was your reaction? did you burst into tears? Squeal? Did your mouth drop open?
You should definitely write a book. You write so well. Reading your story is so inspirational.
I know it can't compare...We've been trying for almost two years. It's emotionally exhausting. I can't imagine how it's been for you. I am so completely excited for you and JB. You deserve it. You deserve all the happiness and blessings...press down, shaken together and running over!
Love,
Lauren
PS My mom doesn't know we're trying (I don't want her asking all the time). :)

Anonymous said...

Just another lurker/fan of yours here. I just knew you were pregnant when you mentioned nausea in your blog. I AM SO THRILLED FOR YOU!!! Praise God for His Great gifts. Your blog totally made my day!

Rachel in NC

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the details Wendi. What a wonderful story. And it isn't over! This is just the beginning to a very wonderful blessed life of motherhood and parenting.
I think you should seriously think about writing a book. You have such a gift with words and this has all been so encouraging. Whether or not someone it trying to conceive a baby, this story is about God and what he can do. There is NOTHING impossible for God. His love for us amazes me. We are so undeserving. He is so kind!!! I can't wait to see you in person and see you smiling ear to ear!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

I SECOND BRANDI ON THE BOOK IDEA.

WHAT AN AWESOME GOD WE SERVE!

NOTHING BEATS A VAN AND DOUBLE STROLLER! :) GOD SURPRISED US BY ALLOWING OUR SON TO HAVE THE SAME DUE DATE AS HIS SIS, A YEAR LATER. 11 MONTHS APART AND WE WOULDN'T TRADE A THING!

OUR CHILDREN, AGE 6 & 7 WERE SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS NEWS, ESP. FOR BABY ISAAC. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is Qtipper from HP. And, your family and friends have GOT to forgive me. The fact is people, I LOVE THE LORD. But, when I read this news, I so totally said HOLY (insert completely inappropriate language of your choice, but I know what I said!) And, I haven't said those words in a really, really, really long TIME. Wendi, I wish my words would have been PRAISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because that is ALL I can do for you. Forgive the absolute foul mouthed shock. But, I so, so, so, so, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo love it when God blows my mind - and makes me curse in shock!!!

Praise God in a Psalm 150 way sister.

Oh, and I love you SO much for loving Isaac so much that your heart went there first - I getcha on that one.

May God continue to blow your mind.

Be blessed
Becky
(Qtipper on HP!)

Gabbs said...

I am another one who, once reading the words, "Wendi, that's a heartbeat," had started to cry. I still have no words to adequately express the joy I feel in my heart thanks to this wonderful little miracle God has touched our lives with. I am so thankful to be a part of this family so that I can watch firsthand how this story unfolds, a story so wonderfully written and put together that only God Himself could have written it.

And I just love the airport story.

Anonymous said...

I can't get the video to work of your folks reaction so have to wait til Oom Ed is around -I told Cara today -and with me in tears and her in total shock -she said, something like but Isaac's name is the one that means laughter!! we both felt like laughing and laughing, but somehow i kept having tears!
we LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!! and JOHN and Isaac! we are so happy for Isaac too!! xo Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Oh, and your book would have been GREAT even without this last blog -God has done so much! and you write so well, but oh my goodness -this blog i know just has to be part of the book -it is written so well!!! And brought laughter and tears and incredulty and fun and tenderness all in one little story! Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Becky! Can I tell you that we sat on the couch (my husband and son and his wife) and all said the same thing I believe you said? Since that early reaction we have been laughing for 5 days as well as breaking out in that song
How Great is our God! I have a picture of Jesus next to my computer with His had thrown back in laughter. I LOVE that picture. He loves to bless us!
Gramma Di

Anonymous said...

oops....typo Jesus has his head thrown back in laughter.
Gramma

Erica said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Oh my goodness! My mouth just dropped open when I read your post!!! I am so excited for you, JB, and little Isaac too! :)
-Erica

June said...

Wendi - am catching up on your posts (No time for 'blog reading, I have a 3-wk-old now - click my link for pics!) and saw your update. I was speechless. It *is* a miracle! I can hardly believe it!!! Congratulations to you and JB and Isaac!!!

(And I must embarrassedly tell you one of my first thoughts - you guys totally confirm that stereotype of "adopt [or relax] and you will conceive" - ha ha ha...)

You give me hope that someday my Matt and I can conceive naturally, too. Blessings to your family!

PS - Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, John and Isaac,

Your mom sent me the powerpoint yesterday as I was gone over the weekend. I read through it and got to the "pregnant" part. I sent her an email asking if what I thought that meant was correct. Minutes later she fired back her work number. At one point she asked if I was crying because I was laughing and must have made some odd noises! Of course I was crying! Tears of such joy. My word. Will we ever figure the Lord out? It's so obvious that you were meant to have Isaac as your son. God is so good at keeping secrets I've decided. So now, on my prayer list I have, Wendi, John, Isaac and baby girl due Feb. 1. I love you and am so happy for you all!

Julie Edgar

Anonymous said...

Call me a wuss if you need to, but I cam sitting here with tears of joy for you guys. This is a happy , momentus occassion. Can you imagine this God that we srve that has the world, the universe and all that lies therein (including our lives)in a fragile balance of his will and timing. Every intimate detail of our lives knit together to create a piece of exquisite art that demands our praise, adoration, devotion and ultimately our faith. We can all look at your lives and say outloud,"GOD IS GOOD!" Thanks for sharing this blessed season of your life with us. (I am still crying.)

Ron Ray

Anonymous said...

Wendi, JB, and Isaac,
I am so happy for the three of you. I of coarse read you blog almost daily and this one snuck right by me.I can't say it enough how happy I am for you. God is Great!!
Janet

Sarah Carlson said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! I read about your pregnancy on Ebby's blog, and I can hardly contain my joy for you! John and I are so excited for you, and praise God for his gift to you in TWO children! Amazing! God is SO GOOD!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am speechless and in awe of God's hand on your lives! He is SO good! What a testimony of his Grace and sense of humor!! I am sooooooo excited for you guys and I have never even met you officially!
LOve,
Jessica (Joia's Sister-in-law...Phil's sister)

The Grady Chronicles said...

Wow! You're story is very moving! congratulations! I am also pregnant and due at the end of February. This will be our first child. Our first appointment is Tuesday and I am so nervous!

Jen said...

Oh and congratulations! I'm on post overload tonight. I'm on HP too but I don't know your username there...I'm Snowflake Jen

[dene'] said...

Congratulations. I am so very happy for you and John. Your post had tears dripping down my face. I am moved by your trust and faith in God's plan for your family. Wendi- you'll be fine with two the same age [smile]. Your attitude and trust in the Lord will carry you beyond what you thought you were once capable! WOW! I wish I could give you a BIG huge HUG! BEAUTIFUL!

TheRagan3 said...

I don't know you personally but I found you through other infertility blogs. I have sat here for the past 30 minutes reading your story, seeing the hand of a loving Father intertwine your family story together perfectly. Who The blessing of children doesn't only apply for biological children but certainly for adoptive children as well.
I, as a IVF mom, am thrilled for you and for your new blessing. May God continue to give you a healthy pregnancy!
Grace and Blessings to you!
Erinn

Stroups said...

Ohmigod wendi!!!!!!!!!! I'm so EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll be like your having twins!