Friday, August 31, 2007

Trust

It can be so difficult to trust God when life is swirling around us. I hope you had the opportunity to watch the video below this post which helps provide the strength to really trust the Lord. Thanks to the great friend who sent this my way. It's words are from the 1600's but still so applicable today.

If Thou but suffer God to guide thee
And hope in Him through all thy ways;
He'll give thee strength whate'ere betide thee,
And bear thee through the evil days.
Who trusts in God's unchanging love,
Builds on the Rock that naught can move.


Only be still and wait His leisure;
In cheerful hope, with heart content
to take whate'er thy Father's pleasure
and all discerning love hath sent.
Nor doubt our inmost wants are known
to Him who chose us for His own.


Sing, pray and keep His ways unswerving;
In all thy labor faithful be.
And trust His Word, though undeserving;
thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never will forsake in need
the soul that trusts in Him indeed.

As I talk to JB after work every day, sometimes life can feel so unfair. Who abuses tiny children?! Who has children they don't want?! Kids with cancer. Kids dying from routine occurrences like eating a hot dog or jumping in the pool. And of course, the thing that is most on my heart is my best friend losing her brother and our own barren home. Life is so difficult to understand and even more difficult to explain sometimes.

Sometimes all there is is trust. Honestly, how do you learn how to trust unless you really need to. We say we trust each other but would you really put your life on the line to prove that trust? It's only when that's all that there is that you really learn to lean on Him.

*I've updated Matt's page if you are interested in reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! Thank you for this post and also the video. I recently read this at the end of a devotion about Job and think it relates to your post...
"It’s a courageous thing for a believer to give himself to a sovereign God while facing impossible situations. Perhaps that’s exactly what you need to do right now. I recall what a wise and surrendered person once prayed:

Lord, I am willing to receive what Thou givest. I am willing to lack what Thou withholdest. I am willing to relinquish what Thou takest. I am willing to suffer what Thou inflictest. I am willing to be what Thou requirest. Lord, I’m willing.

My friend, if your days have been difficult and nights have been like a tunnel, dark and long, find your comfort in God’s sovereign control and everlasting love. Your Savior knows your breaking point. The bruising and crushing and melting you are enduring are designed to reshape you, not ruin you. Your strength and courage increase the longer He lingers over you. Remembering Job’s secret can make all the difference."

Have a wonderful weekend with your parents.

AW said...

((((Wendi))))