Friday, August 03, 2007

A smorgosbord of life notes


Well, I should start by telling you that the pictures above were not staged! After yesterday's post, I really thought people would think I am telling JB how to lay on the couch next to to the dog to make a cute picture. But that is not the case at all. After dinner, I usually spend about 15 minutes in the kitchen cleaning up while John and a tired Scrubs hit the couch and some TV. I used to clean the kitchen in the mornings, but Florida isn't like Minnesota. I'm constantly worried about any bugs in my house so I don't want any food left out ... ever. So I clean at night. The dog lives in the kitchen and laundry room area which makes for a greater need as well. I can't sweep while the dog is awake because he thinks the broom is some sort of toy that he should jump on and hang onto for dear life. If I yell at him, his tail starts going faster at this new game and he jumps higher and harder.


So, I stumble out of the kitchen to find JB and the dog on the couch, sound asleep, in the pose found above. How hilarious is that!? As soon as I took the photo, JB wakes up. He then tries to take Scrubs out to use the bathroom. Here he is taking the pup out, both of them half-asleep.


Scrubs looks so innocent there doesn't he!? Don't let that fool you. Yesterday, we went to the vet to get shots. Thank you to Tiffany who drove me as JB was in Pensacola for the day. Scrubs did fantastic. I really think he likes the vet and all the smells there are to explore. He didn't even seem to notice the shot because I was stuffing his face full of food the whole time.

The vet failed to tell me, but numerous other people did, that puppies will be very sore and tired after these boosters. Scrubs slept five hours! This made for a wonderful work day. I would go and check on him and maybe convince him to stand up to go outside to use the bathroom, but then he would return to his little purple blanket (which was a gift from my mom to me -- sorry mom. Scrubs loves it!) to sleep some more.

However around 5:00, all that rest caught up with him and the dog woke up wanting to bounce off the ceilings. Normally we go for a walk or run during these fits of energy, but it was pouring down rain so we had to try to expel that energy in the kitchen. No easy feat. Add to that that John was stuck in that rainstorm on his ride home and couldn't help me with the pup. He said that the rain was so bad that he passed up his exit by 14 miles. He couldn't see anything! So it took him two hours to get home instead of one. Oh well!

Our evenings together have been very short but sweet. We make dinner together, play with the dog together, and clean up a bit together. Then John retreats to the couch to get off his feet for a bit with the dog, who is finally settling down, while I clean up the kitchen. We actually have been going to bed as early as, get this, 8:31 last night. I've been getting up with John in the mornings around 5:00am. This helps me be ready for bed when he is ready for bed.

All right so I said this was a smorgosbord. Here's the smorg.

I did an update on Matt. Check it out. The boy is getting married today. Read all about it.

A bunch of the ladies/wives are getting together for lunch today at my house. We've been discussing trying to do this at least once a week.

An online friend revealed to me yesterday that JB is working at Sacred Heart Hospital. This is the name of the hospital on the show "Scrubs". Ha! Quite ironic I think. And maybe destiny? What do you think please-don't-name-the-dog-Scrubs-Tara. Is it growing on you at all?

John is on call tonight. He'll be home early tomorrow morning. I am hoping he gets some sleep on call so he doesn't have to sleep the day away.

Work is CRAZY! Both jobs have picked up considerably due to the "leave" of another employee. At Mayo, my co-worker Miranda has taken 10 weeks maternity leave with her new twins. At RLSF, my co-worker Beth has taken 4 weeks off to move and get her new life in order. Both co-workers have their email forwarding to me. I feel that all I do is bounce and back and forth between each job checking email and getting five things done, only to return an hour later with a new five emails to tackle.

I have been reading Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest." This is deeeepppp stuff but very good stuff. I have to read it very slowly and really focus because it is so deep, I often get distracted. However, there is so much good stuff to share! Don't be surprised if I end my posts with a little quote from Oswald here and there in the future. The guy was amazing. Believe it or not, he died in his 30's from complications of an appendicitis. His wife actually compiled all his notes and wrote the book (and others), but she takes no credit for it. Really amazing. Anyways, here's the paragraph that touched me on today's read. August 3.

We are not taken into a conscious agreement with God's purpose -- we are taken into God's purpose with no awareness of it at all. We have no idea what God's goal may be; as we continue, His purpose becomes even more and more vague. God's aim appears to have missed the mark, because we are too nearsighted to see the target at which He is aiming. At the beginning of the Christian life, we have our own ideas as to what God's purpose is. We say, "God means for me to go over there," and , "God has called me to this special work." We do what we think is right, and yet the compelling purpose of God remains upon us. The work we do is of no account when compared with the compelling purpose of God. It is simply the scaffolding surrounding His work and His plan. "He took the twelve aside..." (Luke 18:31) God takes us aside all the time. We have not yet understood all there is to know of the compelling purpose of God.

Is that enough smorg for you all!? Well if not, here's a bit more. The Kit B & B has no scheduled visitors until Labor Day (my parents I hope!!!!!!) So feel free to book your room today!

2 comments:

TAV said...

lame name lame name lame name....
:) he is very cute, though, i have to admit.

Carrie said...

And this "JB" reference in the paragraph about Scrubs and Sacred Heart? The main character's name on the show is JD. Ha!

Adorable pictures, by the way. There's nothing like pets... especially when they're babies.