Wednesday, August 22, 2007

6pm vs. 8pm

So I have decided. If JB can get home by 6pm, then I can survive this whole residency thing.

After nearly 7 weeks of extremely long days and tons of call nights, this entire week JB is supposed to be home by 6pm. It is amazing to me how much different the world looks when John rolls in at 6:00 vs. rolling in at 8:00. We can eat together, do some necessary things around the house, and sit down on the sofa together and relax. Last night we were even able to have Matt and Tiffany and little William over for dinner. However, when you get home at 8pm and have to leave at 5am, there isn't much time for anything. You eat a quick dinner and by then, John is ready for bed since there are only 8 hours before he has to leave again. Those two hours are glorious! John is on his way home right now, and I am so excited to have some time together this evening.

My days are pretty consistent and pretty busy. I have been trying to get up with JB at 5am. Somedays I am better at this then other days. Yesterday I meant to get up but fell back to sleep. I was woken up about 15 minutes later by pounding on the bedroom window. Apparently JB had gone to take the dog out in boxers and t-shirt and gotten himself locked out. The air conditioning drowns out the doorbell so he was left to wade around to our bedroom and wake me up that way.

I try to do my devotions between 5 and 6 and then I usually try to start working about 6am. At 7:30am I take a break and go on a 3 mile walk with Tiffany and Joia. I then continue working off and on throughout the day while taking the dog out for periodic breaks and short walks around the block. I then work until JB gets home and then do some sort of exercise with Scrubs in the evening -- either a long walk or a trip to the bay where there is lots of grass for Scrubs to run and play and wear himself out. If you watched the broccoli video I posted yesterday you can see how much energy that pup has.

I am enjoying working from home. It is very different not being around people all day, but I have instant messenger, email, and the phone to keep me busy not to mention weekly visits with the other wives and long talks with Scrubs. He and I have some great conversations. I remember my Grama telling me that when my dad was a little boy he would lay on the kitchen floor and tell their dog all his problems. I think her name was Mitsy? My dad swears that dog is in heaven waiting for him. Anyways, I am so busy that I do not have time to be lonely during the day. I also do not have time to be bored. I miss JB and miss some of the work interactions I had in Minnesota, but overall, I am very happy and blessed with this arrangement.

Anyways, JB should be home any minute. How nice is that!?

No comments: