Sunday, August 12, 2007

Finally a white cloud

Now that it is 7:17am, I don't think it is possible for me to "jinx" the white cloud that finally seemed to follow JB to work in Pensacola this weekend.

You physicians know what I am talking about. Doctors often call someone a black or a white cloud depending on how much work is generated when they are in the hospital. So far this year, JB's white cloud status from medical school had been whisped away by some pretty hefty black clouds. Example: his first night on call at Eglin and his first night on call at Pensacola were considered abnormally busy evenings. The one in Pensacola they claimed was near record-breaking.

I talked to JB at 8:30pm last night and there were only 9 people in the hospital and only 1 admission. This in comparison to his previous night call: 33 people in the hospital and 11 admissions. Needless to say my JB sounded like a whole new man! He had taken a nap (since it's Saturday there aren't any normal weekday things to accomplish) and was actually planning on going to bed with the hope of a fairly normal night's sleep.

I haven't heard from him yet but a normal night's sleep would mean a normal Sunday for us -- instead of a Sunday that he has to sleep through. I am praying for a white cloud!

Last night I hung out with Joia. Her husband Phil was on call here on base. Each intern does this approximately once a month, and it was Phil's first night. He sounded quite white as well which was wonderful. Joia brought dinner here to cook so that when Phil called she could run it over. It was a fantastic meal idea and one I will actually steal. (Joia says that Kraft's website is a great one for meal ideas.) She put chicken, broccoli, cheese, some ranch dressing, rice, and spices in tinfoil and cooked at 400 for 30 minutes! What a great meal to cook for our husbands when they are on call as we need something easy to transport. Of course she made one for the two of us too.

While she brought dinner to Phil, I attempted to exhaust my pup. Going on a walk every morning at 7:30 helps incredibly. A midday walk would help but Scrubs usually isn't interested. (Maybe that's because the heat index was 115 yesterday?) But by 6:30 he is raring to go again. Last night we met our new neighbors. We now have 3 families (including ours) living on our street! Right across from us is Chip and April (who have the twin daughters). And now, joining them on that side of the street is Tiffany and Doug and their two dogs. Scrubs loved playing with them, and I barely had to walk him because he just went wild with them for about 20 minutes while I chatted with Tiffany. No big surprise that Tiffany is due to have a baby in November. (Sorry, I guess that's a tad bit bitter and sarcastic but seriously, every woman in our neighborhood has five kids or a huge belly.) But it was still nice to meet some more people close by. It's amazing how different the base is. We really go out of our way to meet neighbors here. I love it!

Joia returned and took Keenan (her awesome five month old) and myself to see Turkey Run (is that what it's called Joia? I think I might have messed it up again?) John and I have to go here. It's a boardwalk with water all around it that you can just put a raft in and float down. It's the neatest place. We are definitely going to go and try this.

She also took me to Dairy Queen. Oh sweet heaven a chocolate oreo cookie blizzard. Is there any surprise what I would order? It was delightful and the first one I have had since leaving Minnesota. Okay, so I did have a sonic blast the night of our failed IVF, but quite honestly, I'm more of a fan of DQ because they serve chocolate ice cream. At Sonic, JB has to get them to put chocolate syrup in to fake the chocolate! :) Very fun.

Scrubs and I fell asleep on the couch together last night. I thought about staying there but just wasn't sure if I'd wake up to find him gnawing on the arm of the sofa. So I finally lugged him to his little den. He is still sleeping in his little crate and then hanging out in the bigger crate during the day. I need to switch his sleep to the bigger crate, but he isn't that crazy about it and really likes the tiny one for sleeping. So we'll see.

Scrubs is doing really well. He sits, lies down, and even leaves pretty well. He really doesn't have any accidents as long as I watch him very closely. Even my slippers. For awhile, anytime we left him out in the living room, he'd go on a mission to find my slippers and chew on one until I found it. But now, he will sniff it, think about it, and walk by. This is good. He's doing pretty good meeting new people as well.

The thing that is probably driving me the most crazy is his strong will in deciding when and if he will "come". If he feels like it, he trots right in. If I tell him John is inside (a big fat lie), he will come. If I have a good treat, he will come. But if not, he will look right at me and continue eating the rocks or the daisies or whatever else tastes good at that moment. We start puppy kindergarten next month. Hopefully she can help with that!

1 comment:

TAV said...

I want to be a white cloud! I think I just had the most hectic 28 hour call in my life. The chiefs already hate me because I'm the 'black cloud' intern.... :(