Friday, August 03, 2007

Infertile moment (it's been awhile)

It's well after 10pm on Friday night. JB is on call. Scrubs is sound asleep. The bird is covered and hiding in her little nest. The only noise stems from the television which I inadvertently left on in the other room.

In other words, it's just me.

And I, for some reason, am having a rough evening.

I know it will pass. It always does. These "moments" used to sweep in much more frequently then they have lately. I even, naively, convinced myself that these moments wouldn't ever occur again. That I was "past all that." Sure I am barren, but I can handle that! At least it's easy to keep my house clean.

These "moments" can occur for any of a long list of reasons. Everything can be going perfectly fine when suddenly, I am flooded with a wave of emotion. Usually the emotion originates with some sort of news or some sort of image. Tonight was no different.

Well let me back up a bit.

Tonight's moment actually started two nights ago. JB and I took Scrubs to our favorite hangout on the beach. Remember the doula? Well, I didn't get into it in an earlier post because I basically was trying to ignore it, but this woman not only asked me about our life, but hit all the hard questions in rapid succession. The conversation went something like this:

Doula: Do you have kids?
Wendi: No.
Doula: How long have you been married?
Wendi: Nine years.
Doula: And you don't have kids?
Wendi: No, we don't.
Doula: Well hang out around this neighborhood long enough and you will.
Wendi: Right.
Doula: Do you want to have kids?
Wendi: We haven't been able to have kids.
Doula: Really?
Wendi: Really, yes. We are in the process of adoption.
Doula: Oh, well you know, once you adopt, you'll get pregnant.
Wendi: Right.
Doula: So, what have you done?
Wendi: Done?
Doula: You know. What procedures have you tried?
Wendi: 3 clomid, 5 IUI, 4 IVF.
Doula: Oh. Well, what's wrong with you?
Wendi: Ummm, I don't ovulate. And they don't know why IVF hasn't worked.
Doula: I see.

It was at this point that I took Scrub's leash from JB and managed to entice the dog to want to be somewhere else so I could follow. I quickly put the conversation behind me. John and I only talked about it briefly. I was okay, I kept telling myself. I didn't want to have any more moments.

And I thought it was behind me. But today, the moment continued. Today, it started with an image. The only house currently occupied on our street is occupied by a couple with brand new twins. They came strolling out of the house today while I sat on the porch. I walked by and pushed the image out of my head. I rounded the corner. Blue sign. Pink sign. Blue sign. (You know those delightful signs people stick in their front yard announcing the new addition?) The yards all of a sudden seemed flooded with them. Maybe what the woman I met the first night we moved in said was true, "Everyone on this block is pregnant or has a houseful."

Everyone but me.

Side note: If I ever do get pregnant, or heck, even when our daughter comes home from China, I'm going to buy like 50 of those pink signs and stick them all over our front lawn. Everyone will know! Everyone! Feel free to buy me a sign, please. (But then I'll feel bad if there is someone who is infertile and they see my yard. Maybe I could get a sign that explains all that.)

All right, tangent over.

The moment with the twins and the yard signs passed, and again, I thought I was okay.

But next was a pregnancy announcement for someone I don't know well. She's pregnant through IVF. Her first IVF. I talked her through the early stages of this procedure. I encouraged her. I wanted her to have success and yet, when she does, I can't help feel ... well, jealous. And don't worry dear friend. If you are reading this blog, know that my heart is happy for you. I'm actually ecstatic for you.

I'm just sad for me.

Actually the words I said out loud when I started to pray were -- "God, does it work for everyone but me?"

I honestly cannot begin to tell you how many times I have been connected with another woman going through infertility and watched as that other woman gets the two lines and I continue waiting. I remember one of the hardest cries I have had was as I suffered my fifth IUI failure and a good friend had success on her first. I should be happy for her. She doesn't have to go through this. But geezie peezie, I just wanted it to be me.

The support group I helped start in Minnesota didn't help eliminate these feelings. Either did the online support group I so routinely seek out for comfort. Ironically, the two places I have most utilized for encouragement and support are the two places that sometimes, also hurt the worst. I'm really not sure what's worse: finding out that someone got pregnant easily or finding out that someone who did the exact same treatment as you had success right away.

Aaaaahhh ... the pity party.

Thanks for listening. As I said earlier, there isn't anyone to pity with right now. I have a few people I could call, but it's 10:30. It's late. And I'm tired.

I'm just feeling a bit sad. Sad that I am 30 and still not a mom. Sad I've almost been married a decade and we still are just the two of us. Sad that this adoption seems so daunting and the paperwork so overwhelming.

But again, it's a moment. And moments pass.

Tomorrow's a new day!

13 comments:

TAV said...

Wen, I'm so sorry you were having a rough night. Know that you can CALL ME ANYTIME, CHICA! I am hours behind you and I have the weirdest schedule in the world. I think it's naturally to struggle, esp. w/ JB gone... that doula sounded like an insensitive, tactless brat. Remember, though, your daugther IS on the way-- you WILL be a mom, and the greatest one at that. Love you, Tara

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers! We love you kiddo. You can call me too you know-no matter how late. That doula certianly was not very sensitve. People mean well and many want to encourage but sometimes a hug w/ no words would work so much better huh?. Talk to you later today. I'm proud of you Wen. You're doing an amazing job!!

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Wendi! I wish we could have a walk to Starbucks for a chat (even though I know you don't drink coffee, we could get one of those yummy cold drinks) and just some together time - we miss you guys, and I wish I could be there! Thanks for sharing your heart - we're praying for you guys. Love you!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

thanks everyone. Tara I always forgot your practically on another continent!!!

Amy T. S. said...

Blech - stupid doula. I like your response, "right." So understated and yet so effective. Sometimes, I'm telling you, my first reaction is to yell - "That's a LIE!" but I never do. Could you imagine?

Thank God she didn't tell you, "You can have mine." Ooh - that's hateful.

I'm afraid you might have to train Scrubs to recognize those stupid comments and choose that moment to bark like crazy or run away. You could try that, too, but I think it would be more appropriate coming from a dog.

((((Wendi))))

Tara said...

I'm sorry, Wendi. I hate when feelings like this come up--most often out of the blue like that. You're on my prayer list.

I think Amy is onto something...like those dogs who can sense seizures or stuff like that, we need dogs who can sense uncomfortable infertility situations. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think I'm more of the opinion that Scrubs should have just Bit her!! Pretty sure I wouldn't have handled that situation with nearly as much poise as you did, Wendi, what a complete jerk she was! She has obviously not had someone close to her go through this before, or she couldn't possibly be that ignorant and insensitive.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Amy great idea. Unfortunately we are so busy with "don't pee in the house ..." we may have to postpone that. :)

You guys are all awesome.

AW said...

(((Wendi))) I'm so sorry. Tough nights like this are so...tough.

My heart just aches when I hear these stories, because I've been in those exact same conversations. Those questions are never asked out of concern, but out of morbid (and rude!) curiosity. One very insensitive "friend" asked me a lot of personal questions like that and unfortunately, I was not as gracious as you. I pretty much bit her head off about God feeling it wasn't my time and I'd done everything I could afford and could she just mind her own business?

*sigh*

You obviously are sooo much more tactful than I.

Like Tara said...

"your daugther IS on the way -- you WILL be a mom, and the greatest one at that."

Don't let idiot insensitive doulas distract you from where God is calling you to go. Satan is winning anytime we get distracted from His Face.

Anonymous said...

You need to vent when your heart hurts, and your heart has a huge reason to hurt. Call your Mother and cry girl. Just remember, after you get it all out, God, the creator of all, has a plan for you and John. A very perfect plan. Pull your boot straps back up, and watch it unfold. Hope = Confident expectations of things to come. Stand Strong! Your day is Coming! Love You So Much, Linda

Gabbs said...

Awe, Wen...like Tara said, you could call me anytime. I'm usually up later than you, plus even if you woke me up, I wouldn't mind.

And all I can say is that doula is one very lucky lady that your Italian sis-in-law Gabbi wasn't around when she said that. Its pretty safe to say that I don't think what I would have told her would have been gracious or tactful. I know sometimes people mean well with the questions they ask, but this lady sure seemed incredibly hard-headed and aggressive and by golly, had I been there I would have taught her a lesson in manners she'd not soon forget.

I'm sorry you had to go through that once again, Wen...

If you ever need me to beat anyone up for you, just let me know. Ha ha. =)

Rachel and Hans said...

Wendi,

I think I missed so many of your good posts while I was away. Everyone else pretty much said it...she was insensitive and very lucky that you are such a sweet person to take all that she said so peacefully (I'm sure you didn't feel peaceful inside, though! And you shouldn't have!).
I just cannot WAIT for you and John to go and get your daughter. Everytime I see a lovely pink something (outfit, hat, shoes) I think of you guys and your little one that is on the way. Just as much as I am excited for her to actually get here, I am almost as excited for the day to come when you feel like the end (her coming) is in sight. That day when you start to tell us about her bedroom that you are decorating and the clothes that you are buying for her. I can't wait to share in the excitment and anticipation with you!
Until then, I hope your meeting with the doula and others like her are few and far between. You deserve to celebrate in what is in store for you and not focus on trials from the past.
So, yay! That's what we are here for...to celebrate, pray, and be excited for you/with you! I am!

Anonymous said...

Wendi...I've been reading through some of your blogs and had to comment on this one. I wouldn't mind seeing 10 blue signs out infront of your house! I'm so very happy for you and Jon! You guys have been through so much and you've remained so strong. You are truely and wonderful person!
~Pamela
rhscheer_99@yahoo.com