Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Okay, My Writing Stresses

Okay, so if you want an uplifting post, you may not want to read this today.

Okay, so JB is on overnight call. That's the first thing that is bothering me. I don't feel good (still got this head cold). My third major issue right now: my freelance writing is kinda stressing me out.

Okay, so give me a moment to share my woes with you. I don't feel well to call and talk to anyone (not that I do that very often), and I dont have the energy to type the story many times to various friends, so here is the source of my perplexion ...

Okay, here's the issue. One of the places that I freelance for has not paid me. Now, here's the thing, I am not sure that this is a real problem. This could mean 1 of 2 things.

The first is that it means nothing. They plan on paying me and just haven't yet. Emails exchanged during previous weeks indicated that this was an oversight and they definitely planned on coming through. They apologized repeatedly for the oversight and assured me it would be corrected.

However, this week, emails have not been returned and my website connection isn't working and this is what brings me to possibility #2. I am literally sick about this. They owe me close to $500 and quite honestly, if they go out of business, there is nothing I can do. I am really not worried about them just refusing to pay me as I have enough proof to get my money. However, I remember when JB was self-employed and one company he worked for went bankrupt. They had paid him a certain percentage up front and at the mid-way mark, but they still owed him over $2000, went bankrupt, and he was out of luck.

My husband is so sweet. I just talked to him on the phone from the hospital, and he was so encouraging of the situation. He said that if I don't get my money, it really isn't that big of a deal. I just don't get my money. "It's just money," he says. Then he says, "and we learn a lesson about being more on top of things." Then he says, "all you are out is a little time." (Approximately 25 hours).

I know he is right. It is just money, but I still just hate this feeling. Part of it is my fault, I kept working and didn't really pay attention to my checks coming in. I have so many different jobs, I very rarely even look at my paychecks. The company had two employees leave and my invoices were "misplaced."

This has led me to have concerns about my freelance writing. I just got another freelance job this week editing a thesis for a PhD candidate. If I am going to do this kind of work, in the end, there is always a chance that I can get screwed over. With this thesis candidate, I am charging for every ten pages completed. I complete ten pages, she writes me a check, and then we proceed with the next ten pages. However, even this isn't completely full-proof, and I could end up losing money or actually, losing time.

Okay, so I just wanted to share that with everyone. It really isn't that big of a deal, and in the end, life will go on just as it did yesterday, and goodness knows there are bigger problems in the world to be worried about, but, well, this is my little bothersome item at the moment.

Okay, so thank you for listening to my worries. I honestly would love, if you think of it, for you to pray that this is truly an oversight, and that my check will be in my mailbox tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendi,

Here's a suggestion...What about charging per ten pages. Meaning, the person must pay you a certain amount for you to begin the work (for you to complete 10 pages). Then each time you finish 10 pages you charge for the next 10.

You don't continue the project until you receive the next payment.

Would that be a possibility?

Josh

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Josh, that's what I said in the 2nd to last paragraph ... that I am charging per ten pages. (1/3rd) for the thesis ... lol

Wendi

Anonymous said...

Wendi:
I think Josh's point is to ask for your 10 page fee up front as a down payment. Then after each 10 pages completed require payment before you proceed to the next. That way the ball is in your court at all times.
Maybe I misunderstood what you said in the 2nd to last paragraph. The way I read it, you don't ask for a down payment.

P.S. I love John's attitude about money...

Aunt Linda

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Right, as I rethought about that, I think you might be right. The issue is, if I ask for money upfront, then they get nervous. Either way, someone is at someone's mercy. But this isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, JB has it down. I wish I could feel that easy going about it.

Okay, Josh, maybe you are right.

Anonymous said...

A contract is always the best way to go. That is something that will stand up if you have to seek the courts to get paid. You can draw up a simple contract on your own and have them sign it when you get a free lance job.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I have a contract. The issue is if they go bankrupt. You cannot get your money back if they go bankrupt. I'm not worried about it holding up in court because I have a contract.