Saturday, March 04, 2006

A new experience: Spending the nite in a call room!

Last night I spent the night in a Mayo Clinic call room. How many of you out there can say that?

Well, actually there are quite a few people who read this blog that are JB's classmates so forget it, I guess I'm not as special as it first appeared.

Well, let me just say that my first night "on-call" will probably be my last.

It started off okay. After I went and worked out for a bit, we had dinner in the cafeteria with the three female residents/fellows JB has been working with. Dinner was actually pretty good: fish with vegetables and a roll and potatoes. I was impressed. I then went and saw the floor he was working on. What a fun looking place. If I was a kid, coming to the hospital wouldn't be so bad on this floor.

However, I really wasn't feeling well, and I should have just gone home after that. I got very "met-sick" on Thursday, as we like to call it, which means that the Metformin I am on caused me to get a very upset stomach. We have now realized that this only happens now when I am battling some other infection and my body just can't handle both. I have one doozy of a cold that only appeared on Friday morning.

I played spades until JB finally got off around 10:30 or so. However, I was feeling so crappy that attempting to sleep in a twin bed together was an absolute nightmare. After about an hour, JB mumbled something about going to find another bed and he left! The call rooms were basically empty last night so he slept in another room. I haven't seen him since last night.

Even after he left, I slept horribly but finally got sleep after the sun came up. I had packed some dayquil so am now feeling better. I am attributing this cold to Josh who brought it into my house. Josh tried to combat his cold with anything he could find in our medicine cabinet which included Nightquil cough syrup first thing in the morning! Speaking of that Nightquil Josh, you left the stickiest mess I have ever seen all over the counter and the jar! I had to just throw it away. It was unsalvageable. What's with that? Oh and also speaking of Josh, if you read the comments in one of my recent posts, you realize that Josh is actually Johnny Depp. So from here on it, I think I will refer to Josh as Johnny Depp.

Okay, off track, sorry. Johnny Depp does that to me. Actually he doesn't. My students thought Johnny Depp was SOOOOO good looking. I love him as an actor, but he usually looks a little freaky. Am I the only one who thinks that? Okay, now wait, I am talking about the really Johnny Depp here. Not Josh. Josh, you don't look freaky.

Okay, off track again. Sorry. Back to call night. Josh, I mean Johnny, quit distracting me!

So now I am waiting for JB to finish his rounds. I think we then might meander across the street to the Canadian Honker for breakfast. I got an email from him this morning asking me how my first and last night on call was! Very cute. But he's right. This was a bad idea. We don't sleep well together in a king sized bed. What were we thinking?!

From now on I'll stick to letting the veterans take call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that you tried to sleep together in the twin bed! I can barely fit on that bed by myself, let alone with another person on there. :)