Sunday, March 26, 2006

Minnesotans and their fake cows


What is it with Minnesotans?

Okay, so we already know they talk weird. They say "you betcha", "out and about", and "pop." They close their Dairy Queens from November to March and wear parkas with shorts. They consider "down south" Iowa and call zero a "bit chilly." I mean, that's weird enough. I could end this blog right here.

But it gets worse.

Minnesotans rent fake cows!

Now maybe I just wasn't paying attention when I lived in Kentucky or Florida, but I just don't remember ever seeing a cow on the side of the road with a sign hung on its side saying, "Ain't it nifty, Lisa's fifty?!" or "Lordy, Lordy, Tommy's forty!"
(Now notice my picture above says "Steaks" on the side. I couldn't find a picture online with the whole birthday slogan. You will have to take my word for it! It exists! One day I will see one when I have my camera with me, and I will take it and prove it.)

Okay so here's how it works. People rent these huge fake cows and then they pay money to have their advertisement hung on the side of the cow. Some of these cows are advertising a sale but most of them are simply to wish a friend or loved one happy birthday or anniversary or some other event.

I first saw this when I worked in St. Charles and one of our teachers was having a big birthday. I thought this was the strangest thing, but everyone just told me it was a "regular occurrence."

Renting cows. Maybe that should go on our list of reasons to move to Florida.

And, if anyone thinks it would be funny to rent a cow to celebrate a big day in my life, think again. It may be grounds for never speaking to you again.

Oh, and if I am wrong, and anyone has seen one of these fake cows anywhere but Minnesota, please post a comment. I don't want to blame Minnesotans for something, say Chicago-ans started.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I've ever seen a rented cow for someone's birthday celebration. So it must be a MN thing. However, I have seen a front yard full of Pink Flamingo's! Apparently, you get 40 or 50 etc... pink plastic flamingo's and stick them in your front yard with a happy birthday sign and a sign that say's, Honk! Bob's 50!" Of course, this is not my idea of the perfect b-day celebration. I do honk when I drive by though :)
Aunt Linda

Gabbs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabbs said...

Ok, so I live in Florida and I have seen a fake cow. It was in Davie, as you would probably figure being that Davie is a big, or was a big "country" town. Heck, they even have Rodeo grounds there....still. Anyway, I haven't been down that way in some time, or near the cow (maybe it was a bull--but same difference), so I don't know if the thing is still there. But, it wasn't advertising someone's birthday or anything...I think it was just part of a car dealership or something. If I see it again, I will send you a picture.

Gabbi

Anonymous said...

In defense of Minnesotans, I have only seen the rented cows or other random animals in out state Minnesota. You would never see such a thing in Minneapolis/St. Paul. We are not that weird!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Google "Farmer Brown's Furniture Barn" and "Maryland"

Also "Golden Bull Restaurant"
(same cow, change to a Bull) :)