Saturday, January 28, 2006

40 degrees is still COLD MOM!

So you all see my post from yesterday? The post about it being in the 40's in Minnesota in January. Well, you MUST go back and read the comments that my mother included. She said, and I quote:

Since the weather is so nice why don't you walk some where!! I hate the machines. I like to feel like I'm going somewhere .....

I think my mom thought that the "4" was a "9" or something. Mom, must I remind you that when you came to visit me here one October, it was in the 50's, and you were RUNNING to get inside! Do you forget those days in Florida when it is in the 60's and you guys are sitting there with the heat on and your windbreakers pulled up around your necks? All the Kits bust out their sweaters and little toe-socks and "booties" as if it is about to snow. And that's 60! 40 is still cold! It's just not freezing. It's still not time for frolicking in the tulips.


Okay Mom, you know I love you even though you are a misplaced northerner. :)

It's still so cold in Minnesota that there are no birds at all. I realized this this morning when we were walking into Home Depot and I heard a bird chirp! Jb and I both turned to find the bird. It must have been living in the store and forgot to migrate. I didn't realize until I heard that bird chirp that it has been months since I have heard a bird chirp (outside my house of course -- Chaucer and Twain have been chirping enough for a whole Rochester-full of birds.) I don't think their "season" is over yet.

However, this weather has been so strange that we actually had RAIN today! Lots of rain. The "natives" tell us that this is more than unusual -- they aren't sure it has ever happened in January. However, they have also told us that we are about to get some sort of weird Alaskan-blast. I thought they were joking, but they are serious. If the natives say this will be unbearably cold than it must be really cold. They very rarely admit anything is cold or snowy. It was always worse "forty-three years ago".

Minnesotans are strange. Just look at the fact that they want to live here -- forever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! it's cold for ME but for you who are used to the cold weather, 40 should seem like 90!!!! You can do it!! I know you can!!! the mother!!!