Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Writing is on the Wall

If you have visited our home in Minnesota, the first time you came in, you have probably said something like, "Why have people written all over your wall?"

We aren't really sure why we have let people do this ourselves, but the story does have an origin. If you have visited us, I have probably told you the story because you asked "Why have people written all over your wall?" and therefore, you wanted an answer.

It started back when we were moving into the condo. One afternoon I asked JB something about gravity. I don't know what caused me to want to know something about gravity, but I did. JB had a pencil in his hand, so he leaned over and started drawing the illustration on the wall. My mouth dropped. "What the heck are you doing?!" He reminded me that we were going to paint the wall and continued discussing gravity.

A few weeks later, our friend Sarah, a wife of JB's classmate Travis was over. Sarah is infamous for saying exactly what everyone else is thinking and she didn't hesitate to put her hand on her hip and demand to know why we would draw on our wall. "We're going to paint it," I repeated. Sarah then said that if we were going to paint it, she should add a note. I agreed and found a pencil.

The tradition has continued. If you visit our house, we ask that you don't leave without signing our wall. I know these might be hard to read, but I still wanted to share some of the messages.

Oh, and we do plan to paint the wall, eventually. It's kinda like the Pepsi can. We want to take pictures so we can remember what everyone wrote, but we know we have to get rid of it.





No comments: