Saturday, January 21, 2006

Gender Identity: Our Confused Birds

Chaucer (on the left) was DEFINITELY a she. (Picture taken before her untimely death.) Twain on the right was thought to be a HE. (We now believe Twain is a SHE. )

Monet, our new bird, was an IT. We are now convinced Monet is a HE.

Well, the pieces of our bird puzzle and why Chaucer died are now fitting together.

Yesterday, while I was working at home for RLS, I saw something very unusual. Now those of you who know me, know that I am fairly modest. I prefer not to talk about anything that causes me to blush. Some of you respect that. Others of you (Josh!) prefer to watch me blush and disrespect my wishes.

So yesterday, while I was IM'ming with my cousin Justin and editing a webpage, I noticed that our birds had gotten very quiet. I looked over and realized that it was because they were, ummm, well, busy.

Now ordinarily, seeing two animals mate wouldn't really intrigue me. It especially wouldn't confuse me. However, this occurrence intrigued and confused (quiet in the peanut gallery please) me because, well our poor birds have been told they were something they weren't for quite some time!

Chaucer was our first bird. We had her sexed so we KNOW that Chaucer was a girl. You get them sexed by sending a feather to this company. They actually mail you a box, you pluck a feather, and they return an official document telling what sex your bird is. Now some of our friends have asked us why don't we just look to see what sex our birds are. This is not possible. It isn't like a cat or dog. Birds are different. Please don't make me explain more than that. If you want to know more, ask JB. He doesn't blush.

Okay, again, I want to keep this conversation very embarrassment-free. So let's just leave it at the fact that: Chaucer was a girl. So when we bought Twain, we made sure that he was a he.

However, after yesterday, I am convinced, that woman that sold us Twain LIED TO US! Twain is most definitely a She! I'm not going to get into how I know. Just trust me on this one.

So it's all making sense to me now. We put a nesting box in the cage for Twain and Chaucer and two days later, Chaucer was dead. Of course she was! They were both fighting over the nesting box. Chaucer wanted Twain to act like her husband! And Twain was a WIFE! Chaucer wanted Twain to bring him food. He wanted her to GET OFF THE EGG! That was his
(Uhhh, her) job! (Stay with me here. I know this is a little confusing.)

After Chaucer died we bought a new bird and named him/her Monet. We didn't know what kind of bird (sex-wise) Monet was. However, this is okay. If you end up with two birds that are the same sex, they can still pair up as friends. However, because we thought Twain was a he and Monet was so pretty, we called him/her a she. (I'm getting tired now.)

But yesterday, it all came together, in one horrific moment! Twain and Monet are more than friends. Yesterday was quite traumatic. I am basically positive that Twain is a GIRL and Monet is a BOY. Twain I am sorry we gave you a boy's name. We really didn't know. Monet, I am sorry we called you a she and told you how pretty you were.

I will not be putting a picture of this on our blog, nor did I take one or plan to take one. You all are grown-ups. You've watched animal planet. You can put the pieces together. Even I put the pieces together. The bird we thought was a male is a female and the pretty bird we were confused about is a male. Okay, I need some chocolate.



No comments: