Friday, January 13, 2006

This old Pepsi Can

When we moved into our condo in May of 2004 and tore down the walls of our kitchen, JB found this Pepsi Can complete with a plastic pull back top. Since our condo was built sometime around the 1960's,we think that this Pepsi can was probably put in the wall during the construction process and is about 50 years old.

This can illusrates the differences between JB and me. JB wanted to keep the Pepsi can. I wanted to throw the Pesi can away. "What would we do with it?" I asked. "It's cool," John says. "It's clutter," I say. "It's a collector's can," JB says. JB wanted to keep the can. I wanted to throw the can away. We comprimised. He could keep the can and try to sell it. So he got on Ebay. Turns out the Pepsi can isn't worth anything. So for the last year it has remained on our counter tucked behind a few cookbooks -- both of us pretending the difference of viewpoint didn't exist.

This week, JB agreed that we couldn't keep the can forever. I suggested we take a picture of the Pepsi can so we can treasure it always (in the comfort our own hearts.) So, above, is our precious picture (taken just prior to the can took a ride down the garbarge shoot.)

JB and I constantly have a discussion fairly similar to the one with the Pepsi can. I don't like clutter. I don't want any clutter. However, I go to extremes. I end up throwing away things that are actually valuable. I remember when I was about 14 I threw away my parents' cruise tickets. Good thing the trash hadn't gone out yet!

So we try to meet in the middle. We throw some things away that are probably a little bit valuable. We keep some things that are probably a little worthless. And we take pictures of the things inbetween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendi: I think you should send some of these things to Readers Digest or something. Maybe you could make a couple of bucks or at least share your talent w/ the world! You are so funny!
Love John's picture
Mom H.