Monday, January 30, 2006

What is in a Coat?

This morning JB had to leave early (no big suprrise there.) I usually work at Mayo on Monday morning, but today my times were flip-flopped, and I was working this morning from home for RLS. So, being as it was 6:00 and I was wide-awake, I decided to walk JB to the shuttle which he takes to St. Mary's (about a mile away) and go to the gym.

There isn't much to report about the gym except: (1) I avoided jogging -- I tried one of those glider machines; not sure how I feel about it. It felt rather pointless. (2) The guy next to me really smelled. It was difficult to focus. He didn't just smell a little. Blasted, the guy really stunk! (I wonder if people realize they smell.)

However, let me get refocused on the really important aspects of the day. As I put on my coat to leave for the gym, I was dumb-founded by how many coats I had in my front hall closet. I was also dumb-founded by the fact that I even needed a front hall closet!

I remembered living in Florida. I remember that growing up, I had ONE coat. It was a windbreaker -- our basketball team's windbreaker. It was all I had and all I ever needed. We didn't have a coat closet. I hung that one windbreaker in my closet in my bedroom. Actually, now that I think about it, we did have a coat closet, but we didn't keep coats in it. It was a storage closet. Hey, I just thought of something else we kept in that closet, an egg carton crate of white socks. We all shared socks and we just kept them in one crate in this closet. Now that I think about it, this is really weird. You know what else is weird? I didn't own any dress socks! I just wore these basketball socks. Oh my gosh -- what the heck was I thinking. Speaking of that, I need to do a blog on my once horrid and now, not much improved, fashion sense.

Okay, okay, sorry . . . I have digressed yet again. I need to stick to the life-changing issues . . . like, coats, for instance.

Now, I have a closet FULL of coats. I don't know I actually accumulated so many coats but my coats now include:

1. Black dress pea coat -- used for every day wear.
2. Heavy winter jacket -- used for days too cold to wear the pea coat or when I am walking to the gym (pea coat is too fancy).
3. Waterproof jacket -- this is to go over my coat if we do any "snow-related activities" which we do not do very often.
4. Pullover -- I have 4 of these pullovers of various "levels". Those with hoods are often worn under my pea coat.
5. Very heavy winter jacket -- used for days when going outside is risking your life. This jacket looks ridiculous on me so I only wear it on very serious occasions.
6. Windbreaker -- I still have 2 of these in the closet! However, for some reason, I now very rarely get to wear it!

So there you have it. 10 jackets. Multiply that by Jb's 10 and we have 20 coats in our front hall closet. Insane! Because we are thinking we will probably be moving in about a year and a half, we have sworn to make no more winter purchases! What we have must make it through, and then, before we move south, we will SELL IT ALL!

P.S. On a side note, my good friend Kelly Gritter Stegemoller had her third baby this morning and her first boy. Some of you may know Kelly from our friendship growing up together. We have known each other since the day we were born! Kelly has been a precious friend to me during my journey with infertility as she struggled in conceiving their second child and never thought there would be a third. Here was the email I received this morning from Kelly's mother Nancy.

We have a brand new little Grandson!! His name is Dylan James Stegemoller, weighing in at 9 lbs 15 oz and 22 and a half inches tall! WOW!!! He has a large amnt of dark hair..I have not seen him yet..he was born at 6:15 this AM..they went to the hosptial at 3 and it went pretty fast! :)

Congrats to the Gritter and Stegemoller families!

No comments: