Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Glorious Weekend!

Well as I have told you in previous posts, JB had a ridiculously crazy week. He worked 16 hours on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 12 hours on Tuesday and Thursday. I realized that in 3 days he worked 48 hours. That only leaves 24 more hours and if you use them all to sleep, there isn't ANY more.

Friday evening I went to hear the Medical School (and graduate school) recital. People sing and play instruments and these people aren't pansies either! It was stinkin' amazing! Not only are these people brilliant in their minds, their music is brilliant as well. Honestly, I felt quite inadequate as a person sitting there.

I ran into our friend "OK" (I will not attempt to spell his African name -- everyone calls him OK) during the intermission. OK agreed with me and said "Orthopedic surgery must become my talent!"

John actually made it for the last two acts around 9:45. I had been sitting with Danny Spoon's wife Kelsey (who played basketball at Notre Dame) during the show and the place was packed. It was held in the beautiful Gonda atrium. As soon as she saw JB, she got up and said, "You need to sit by your husband. I know how it is to never see your husband." It was very sweet. After the show we went home and ate dinner at close to 11:00.

So Saturday, John woke up pretty early despite wanting to sleep in. After getting up at 5:00 each morning, sleeping in wasn't easy to do. I have been sleeping very poorly too due to a combination of new hormones being introduced to my system and being woken up as he comes and goes at odd hours.

However, at 7 a.m. John rolls over and said, "Let's go to
Pannekoken." Now for those of you who aren't Dutch or who don't live in Rochester, I have hyperlinked this to the only picture of a pannekoken I could find online. However, the picture does not do this delicious food justice. Quite honestly, we should just go out for dessert. The things are awesome.

So despite the fact that I was still quite asleep and planned to be so for quite some time, I got up and went to Pannekoken (begrudgingly mind you) with my stir-crazy husband. When we returned home around 9:30, we laid back down. I woke up at 12:00. I finally got John up at 1:30!

We then went for a long walk in the underground to get some exercise and finished up in the Public Library (shocker there!) JB has so much free time, he needed some more books! That evening we FINALLY went to dinner at
Lord Essex Tavern in the Khaler Hotel. I have been wanting to go here since we moved in but we very rarely have enough "fun money" left each month to afford it. This month, however, we spent practically nothing as John was never home so we splurged as this restaurant designed to feel just like a British Pub. I loved it!

Sunday has now come and almost gone. I worked some at Mayo, we went to church and listened to the lead lawyer in the Terri Shiavo (sp?) case speak. I have now done laundry and have also taken a nap. It's been a wonderful weekend, and we are both almost ready to reenter the real world.

No comments: